Nieuport XXI & Nieuport XXIII from Copper State Models

kkarlsen

On 12/12/2019 at 10:09 AM, vince14 said:

All French aircraft were designated with Roman Numerals, the use of Latin numbers is due to the British (and later the Americans) using them in their documentation, which has been retained by English-language authors ever since. If you want to be strictly accurate, then using Roman Numerals is correct.

Actually, if you look closely at the decals with a magnifying glass, the small decals for the various parts say NIE 17. The only surviving Nie17 ln Brussels also says NIE17 yet the SPAD says Xlll, just like my references. I think it’s because all the SPAD Xllls has no other versions whereas the Nie17s had an A, B, and C version due to the armament differences. Nie17a had a Lewis fun on the wing. The Nie17b had a vickers on the nose. The Nie17c had both Lewis and vickers.

I am building a respectable French force. It’d be nice to have more French two seaters and bombers. I have this huge book on the French Airforce Of WWl, and what models I do have only take up about a dozen pages of this book. I appreciate the two Salmson kits, and the Morane Saulnier, and I love Nieuports and SPADs. We even lost the only Company making the only SPAD Xlll, but the French Airforce was so much more, but looking at my shelves, you wouldn’t think so.

Edited by Fred Jack

8 hours ago, Fred Jack said:

I am building a respectable French force. It’d be nice to have more French two seaters and bombers. I have this huge book on the French Airforce Of WWl, and what models I do have only take up about a dozen pages of this book. I appreciate the two Salmson kits, and the Morane Saulnier, and I love Nieuports and SPADs. We even lost the only Company making the only SPAD Xlll, but the French Airforce was so much more, but looking at my shelves, you wouldn’t think so.

Fred Jack, which „huge book“ do you refer to?

On 1/1/2020 at 5:18 PM, OldTroll said:

"Fred Jack, which „huge book“ do you refer to?

"51XWBS1KLIL._AC_UY327_QL65_ML3_.jpg

Almost certainly the book from Flying Machine Press, authored by Davilla and Soltan, "French Aircraft of the First World War."

That’s the one.

• 1 month later...