Why we don't have these obvious WWI Large Scale Aircraft kits?

kkarlsen

5 hours ago, kkarlsen said:

So I have been following your posts here and I'm interested in hearing what makes a subject more popular than the other?

Well, if I knew that, I would bottle it and sell it for millions! :-) 

Who knows what makes stuff popular? 

One thing that works best is the "cool factor". You see something in a book, magazine, film, whatever and think "that is cool". I do not know anyone who builds models because "they were produced in such-and-such many numbers". If that was the case, we would see more Shturmoviks! People are attracted to interesting stuff, interesting colour schemes, interesting weapons, interesting stories. The German stuff, the Spitfires, the Mustangs and other stuff that is popular in general owe their popularitty to the fact that there are a multitude of various versions, colours, etc.

You must also think that "hardcore modellers" who build "serious models" are just a fraction of the purchasing public. A lot of models are bought by grannies, uncles, whatever, as gifts. When someone who could not tell a Messerschmitt from a Spitfire walks into a shop, they will go for the model that sounds familiar or looks "cool" on the box. "What shall I buy? I heard of Spitfire! Got it!" Were you ever asked to "suggest a model for a friend's kid?" Did you recommend the "obscure subject" or the "usual suspects"? 

Furthermore, and possibly the most important factor of all, is that very few modellers just buy models because "this has not been kitted before". "Not kitted before" is the least important decision factor for any manufacturer, simply because there are good reasons why kits do not get kitted (sales kryptonite being first). Yeah, there may be hoarders out there whose only reason for buying a model is "I haven't got this one yet", but few people are like that. Most sane people buy models they care for, models that they are interested in. My local model shop is full of models "I dhaven't got yet" and I will never purchase simply because I am not interested in the subject, no matter how beautiful/accurate/detailed the model is. but show me a new Messerschmitt and you got my undivided attention. :-)  So, take it from someone who sat in a good few production meetings that when you tell a manufacturer to make a model only because "it was never kitted before", you already lost the argument. 

Radu 

8 hours ago, kkarlsen said:

What I do not get is the 'Jenny' 

I think there is a WNW speculation thread here, and I often suggest the JN in that. It is such a versatile aeroplane to work with and covers quite a lot of years of service

Richard

My first WnW kit will be Porco Rosso's seaplane. 

Hey, I hear they're not going to do that. 

Better hold out for other never-before-kitted-therefore-never-going-to-be types on the geels of their Lancs like the Rapide, Oxford or Anson

(BTW, vacforms are not kits, they are mere impressions, and only impress themselves) 

Somebody, somewhere, someone utterly fantastically and stupendously brilliant and gifted, will come up with an easy way to install rigging. As easy as removing red-eye from digital snaps.

Tony 

Speculation is always interesting to me; what will sell, what will not. It's hard to be sure with no solid data, but it does seem rather certain that some subjects are bound to be more popular than others. Over the last few years, I've seen many subjects released that have no appeal to me whatsoever, while others may see them as "must haves".  In all probability, I'd assume, manufacturers probably have some sort of barometer to measure likely interest, but it's still a gamble, at best, as I see it.

29 minutes ago, Tony T said:

Somebody, somewhere, someone utterly fantastically and stupendously brilliant and gifted, will come up with an easy way to install rigging. As easy as removing red-eye from digital snaps.

Tony 

The best way that I've found for dealing with a lot of rigging, is to just avoid it altogether. While I'm a major fanboy of the Fokker D.VII and Dr.I, it's really just a coincidence (and blessing) that they have almost no rigging.

On 12/5/2019 at 1:47 AM, John1 said:

Feh...   I’m still trying to get my arms around the fact that we’ve got a plethora of obscure WW1 kits that most modelers have zero interest in and yet not a single manufacturer seems interested in a new tool F-86 Saber.    

Most modellers have zero interest in almost everything, except what they are interested in.  I have almost zero interest in F-86, so you and I cancel each other out.....  ( i say almost, because I wouldn't mind building an RAF Mk 4 sometime, but I have a couple of Italeri ones in stock, so I have zero interest in seeing a new one.....) 

Well in around 2008, I would have never expected we would EVER see any 1/32 two seater WW1 aircraft done in my lifetime (at least in top quality injection moulded kit form) let alone things like the Gotha, or the Felixstowe (good lord when that was announced from WNW I was incredulous.)

I really think most of the subjects you list will get done by WNW over time (especially the DH4 and BE2.) The reality is that even with PJ's backing, doing more than two or three all-new subjects a year is probably their max? The SPAD XIII kind fell into their "we wont do kits that were already done by others" initial stance but that may come in time as well now, or Copper State I could see doing it (really their Nieuport 17s are excellent)

Edited by petrov27

39 minutes ago, Gazzas said:

The exciting boxart of a Jenny cropdusting just didn't interest me at all.  No guns, no fun.

Well there you go, that's exactly the reasons why it interests me... + some mail planes and Barnstormers too... ;)

NASM-NAM-A-337.jpg

Cheers: Kent

i alway look at the pile produced, then at my stash and afterwards i realize how much time it will take to build only what i have bought (at my rate of two buils a year on average)

then i am gratefull we dont get more releases per year, i just would have more boxes and not more builds....

19 minutes ago, blackbetty said:

i alway look at the pile produced, then at my stash and afterwards i realize how much time it will take to build only what i have bought (at my rate of two buils a year on average)

then i am gratefull we dont get more releases per year, i just would have more boxes and not more builds....

So true David!  I've made a resolution that once my Hawker Fury arrives (scheduled mid next week) and the Silver Wings Tiger Moth (or two!) added to the stash, THAT WILL BE IT!!!!! :coolio:

1 hour ago, mozart said:

So true David!  I've made a resolution that once my Hawker Fury arrives (scheduled mid next week) and the Silver Wings Tiger Moth (or two!) added to the stash, THAT WILL BE IT!!!!! :coolio:

You're kidding Max! Not too long ago I made a promise to myself not to buy anymore kits since with advancing age it would

be unjustifyable and senseless - and still the parcel truck stops every other week to leave a package. Guess it's time to see

a doctor ;)

Lothar