Why we don't have these obvious WWI Large Scale Aircraft kits?

kkarlsen

Hello gentlemen, I don't know if this topic has been debated in here before, but I've been contemplating this for a while now:

Why it is that there is a lot of WWI aircraft, that we do not have, but would be the obvious 'popular' choice for producers to bring to the marked...

Avro 504                           Number built    11303

SPAD S.XIII                       Number built    8472    (Hobbycraft - Not available)

Curtiss Jenny JN-4         Number built    6813   

De Havilland DH-4           Number built    6295

R.A.F. B.E.2c                     Number built    3500+

These are planes that immediately come to mind, but I'm pretty sure there are lots of other interesting subjects too...

Instead we are getting kits of some 'fringe' or 'obscure' aircraft, that didn't have any real impact on aviation history?

Is the answer really:

'because they are not german' or...
'too much rigging' ?

Can anyone please give me a plausible answer to this 'enigma' (to me)

Edited by kkarlsen

They may be issued in the future. Just because we do not have them right now it does not mean that they are ignored. 

Why are some subjects "covered to death" while othjer subjects are "ignored"? The entire model industry is powered by the enthusiasm of the people involved in the manufacturing. But you can't take enthusiasm to the bank. You need cold hard cash. And the only way to make cash is to have some "cash cows" in your inventory. So, for every "obscure" kit you will have to have the "German" and the "popular". Just wait until the "cash cow" generates the necesary cash and then these kits will be made. And no, the "spendthrift benefactor" (Sir Peter, :-) etc) is not the "cash cow". They may sponsor the first kit, then the following kits have to be made from profit. 

Radu 

Edited by Radub

I’d put money on Spads coming out in the future. DH4 most probably. The others- possible, depending. WNW to their credit have bought out a lot of 2 seaters so we will probably see less bombers and recon planes and more fighters but what comes next is anyone’s guess...

Edited by Pup7309

I'm not really a big fan of WW1 aircraft but I'm surprised that the BE2C hasn't been done because as a teenager we had a TV series about the RFC and quite realsitic it was too called 'Wings'

and the BE2C was quite a big player in the series and I think I'm right in saying that this series awakened a lot of people to the RFC and WW1.

Graham 

5 minutes ago, GrahamF said:

I'm not really a big fan of WW1 aircraft but I'm surprised that the BE2C hasn't been done because as a teenager we had a TV series about the RFC and quite realsitic it was too called 'Wings'

and the BE2C was quite a big player in the series and I think I'm right in saying that this series awakened a lot of people to the RFC and WW1.

Graham 

Yes, great series. It’s an ungainly bird but v important to the early air war. I’d say it’s a better than 50/50 of coming out.

That problem is the same for all eras, not only WW1. Choosing obscure topics may be linked to very diverse reasons:

1. What is obscure here may be mainstream there. 

2. Try to decrease the probability of competing with a release from another company. 

3. The CEO loved that plane when he was a child. 

Etc. Etc! 

Nonetheless, it is a hard fact topics are progressively covered. Ten years ago we had zero injected models of Vietnam War USAF Coin planes whereas with the future arrival of the A-26, close to all of them have been released! 

So, it is only a matter of time. To go back to WW1, WnW and CSM need topics for the next years.

I think it boils down to subject popularity. Anyone with a passing interest in aviation probably know what a zero, f-4, fokker d7, p-51, Bf-109, spitfire, F-15, f-16 etc is. Folks with more focused interest will know the Beaufighter, mosquito, oscar, p-39,  albatross, f-5, F-8, mig-17 etc. People that are really in tuned with aviation will know the different versions (p-51d ,p-51b, p-51c etc) of the aforementioned aircraft. Lastly there are the people  who rarely see the light of day that study the all the different production line nuances/ variants/variation of those planes will know every single plane out there that ever flew.. The last set of folks are the die hard's that dedicate there time honorably to the cause and are also the smallest number of people IMHO. I believe most folks in modeling forums fall in within the 3rd and a part of the forth category. 

As Radu said  you need the popular subjects to hook  the numbers of the mainstream the get the $$ to be able to cater to the die hard's. I don't recall ever seeing a model company last long doing really obscure stuff as there main focus unless they have a massive financial stockpile to draw from.

I myself recall saying that a large scale Mig-29 should sell pretty well for various reasons. I did my part, I bought 6 of them and built 2 so far but sadly i may have been wrong as the trumpeter mig-29 doesn't seem to be selling very well overall as I don't see a lot of builds or hear talk about it after the initial release of it. 

Edited by The Dude

The Avro 504K is a beautiful aeroplane, that one that most of all surprises me in having been ignored to date.  There's at least a couple in museums in Australia, one in the AWM and another in Point Cooke that could be measured up by the WnWs team.

7LTKeh.jpg

pHXk0p.jpg

Edited by mozart

This question comes up quite often, and the simple answer is because a model company hadn’t decided that these kits are viable investments at this time.  That’s it.  Some company may have future plans for a kit, or they may not.  People can guess all they would like, but the reality is that few people have enough direct knowledge of any companies business to say why company X won’t make a a kit of Y.  Companies will make the kits they choose to make when they choose to make them, and there isn’t any real value it trying to figure out the reasons because there is likely no way to influence a decision to make a particular kit.  Besides, saying a certain kit is “obvious” is just an opinion that may not actually be held by that many people.  As far as being “popular”, the many model companies can tell tales of kits that they brought out because they thought they were “popular” and people said they wanted them, but turned out to be duds.  People can lament about not having a kit of Y all they want, but unless you start your own model company to make it, there is no guarantee that you’ll ever get it.

Rigging. If you love a subject enough you convince yourself how you can legitimately "reduce" it. 

Frankly, I Iove the look of these subjects but am not brave enough to deal with them.

Tell me why I don't have some of the most beautiful jets designed: SAAB J.35F Draken or Sukhoi 15TM Flagon ?

— of which, collectively, nearly two thousand were built. And these are metal jets, not stringbags. 

Tony 

Edited by Tony T
the numbers game