Favourite water based paints for brushing and spraying?

Pup7309

What he said, Tamiya and Vallejo are the only things on my bench (not counting Alclad...but that is most definitely not water based) Use the proprietary thinners that go with the paints and you'll be ok. WW II stuff you may have to DIY with Tamiya but it's still great paint (just my opinion)

I discarded 30 bottles of Testors Model Master acrylics after they failed me more times than I can remember so, I won't recommend them.

Mission Models paint is nice.  You have to use their thinner and harder with it and you cannot over thin the paint.  This is a true water based paint, it is odorless when spraying.  I have used it pretty extensively in the last year and am happy with it.  In some regards I prefer Tamiya with lacquer thinner but for no smell, non toxic and good hard shell finish that does not lift Mission Models is good stuff and sprays and levels nicely.  

The down side to mission is that you cannot spray it super thin.  With Tamiya and their lacquer thinner you can go to the consistency of water so you can do some interesting stuff with that.

I have not figured out their primer yet.  It needs two drops of their reducer for 10 drops of paint but I have had trouble with the primer drying in the tip of my airbrush and clogging.  Still trying to get that figured out.  

Also you can soak your airbrush parts in their reducer.  I use one airbrush exclusively for Mission Paints and another for Tamiya etc.  Oil and water don’t mix.  So any mission residue can gum up the airbrush if you switch paint types.  

I do find without soaking my ventury in their reducer i get build up and eventually the airbrush needs a comprehensive cleanup.  So now I am trying to soak.  Will be spraying it this weekend and will see how it goes.  Have had my parts soaking for a week now as I was experimenting with their primer.

I have used Mission Models paint on one model and had great results.  Agree with what has been stated in that if you over-thin the paint it is no good at all.  I now use only a small amount of thinner and some folks spray it "neat".  I also recommend their additive to make it harder to scratch off.  As for their primer, it was fantastic.  It was very opaque and snuggled down really tight hiding no surface features.  I plan to use it as my main primer.

Testors Model Master Acryl gets a lot of hate and I don't agree.  I have used it a few times and have found that mixing it with Future (Pledge floor finish) gives beautiful results.  The Future mix is so hard after a day of curing that I cannot even scratch it with my fingernail!

On 12/5/2019 at 11:35 AM, chrish said:

What he said, Tamiya and Vallejo are the only things on my bench (not counting Alclad...but that is most definitely not water based) Use the proprietary thinners that go with the paints and you'll be ok. WW II stuff you may have to DIY with Tamiya but it's still great paint (just my opinion)

I discarded 30 bottles of Testors Model Master acrylics after they failed me more times than I can remember so, I won't recommend them.

Thanks for the heads On model master paints!

On 12/6/2019 at 2:02 AM, KUROK said:

I have used Mission Models paint on one model and had great results.  Agree with what has been stated in that if you over-thin the paint it is no good at all.  I now use only a small amount of thinner and some folks spray it "neat".  I also recommend their additive to make it harder to scratch off.  As for their primer, it was fantastic.  It was very opaque and snuggled down really tight hiding no surface features.  I plan to use it as my main primer.

Testors Model Master Acryl gets a lot of hate and I don't agree.  I have used it a few times and have found that mixing it with Future (Pledge floor finish) gives beautiful results.  The Future mix is so hard after a day of curing that I cannot even scratch it with my fingernail!

Thanks for Future tip!

17 hours ago, ringleheim said:

For spraying, Tamiya thinned with lacquer thinner.

For brush painting, Life Color is the best brush painting acrylic I've ever tried.  Vallejo, MIG, AK interactive in the squeeze bottles with built in nipple are all good as well.

Tamiya acrylics are terrible for brush painting.

Thanks I’m going to look up Life color now. 

45 minutes ago, GusM said:

If you want something odourless which performs well then the Ammo paints from Mig Jiminez are very good. Best used with the proprietary thinner but IPA or Mr Levelling also work well with it. 

Thanks will look for Ammo too...

• 4 months later...
On 12/6/2019 at 6:06 PM, ringleheim said:

For spraying, Tamiya thinned with lacquer thinner.

For brush painting, Life Color is the best brush painting acrylic I've ever tried.  Vallejo, MIG, AK interactive in the squeeze bottles with built in nipple are all good as well.

Tamiya acrylics are terrible for brush painting.

Tamiya is terrible for brush painting?

I’ve had good luck with Vallejo Model Air.  Comes thin enough to spray, although I often still cut it a bit more with their proprietary thinner.  I like their primer quite a bit too.  I have now mostly switched to using Mr. Color lacquers, but still like Vallejo for specific purposes.  Still use their matte clear as a final top coat on most all models. Their acrylic colors are good if you want a fairly fragile color coat over aluminum to chip or abrade away.

In my quest to find a paint that doesn't hate me I tried Mission Models and discovered to my horror that some colors are not water resistant when dry... for days. I also had one color form hard crystals in the cup when mixed with their poly. Passed this info onto MM and was told that their paint is perfect in every respect.

NEXT!