Spitfire Mk V 1/32 scale

RogerP

17 hours ago, RogerP said:

Is the Hobby Boss 1/32nd Scale Spitfire Mk.Vb the old Hasegawa kit?

No, lamentably Hobby Boss Spitfire V is related as the worst Spitfire kit in any scale...   The Hasegawa kit is good despite its raised panel lines.

Well the HB kit has a wrong cross-section behind the cockpit whereas the Hasegawa kit has a wrong cross-section in front of the cockpit...! The former is unfortunately more noticeable than the latter. However, I would not say the HB is the worst Spitfire in any scale. There are far worse 1/48 kits. Except Tamiya 1/32 masterpieces and their brand new small brother (plus possibly the Eduard Mk. IX that I have not seen closely) all Spits have noticeable issues. 

I built two Hobbyboss Mk.V's and they are really well engineered and detailed kits, obviously not in Tamiya's league but I enjoyed building them both. At the same time I built the Revell Mk. II, which with  bit of help from Barracuda (also used on the Hobbyboss kits) was also an enjoyable build, sitting next to my other Spitfires (Hasgawa and Revell) the Hobbyboss kits do not look out of place.

Cheers

Dennis

On 12/4/2019 at 7:08 AM, dennismcc said:

I built two Hobbyboss Mk.V's and they are really well engineered and detailed kits, obviously not in Tamiya's league but I enjoyed building them both. At the same time I built the Revell Mk. II, which with  bit of help from Barracuda (also used on the Hobbyboss kits) was also an enjoyable build, sitting next to my other Spitfires (Hasgawa and Revell) the Hobbyboss kits do not look out of place.

Cheers

Dennis

Yes, all HobbyBoss kits are really well engineered.  The problem is the accuracy...  Many of the problems with their Spit Mk.V can be ignored if you don't try to compare the kit with technical drawings, but a terrible problem with that kit are the clear parts. In all the HobbyBoss kits I saw well assembled, the modelers swapped the kit's clear parts for Hasegawa parts.