NickDandy

Wooden Ship Model Question

Hello.

I am building a vintage DMI Samson Tug kit.

I am stuck on a word in the instructions. If anyone can help it would be appreciated.

Here is the lines in the instructions.

"There shall be no deck under the cabin and engine-room. Start along the two 5X5 mm strips and glue strips on moving towards the rail.

Then glue lists on the fore and aft deck. To strengthen the ends of the fore and aft deck, respectively, glue 5x5 mm strips twarthships under the deck strips"

I am stuck with the word "lists" and "twarthships"

This is a link to someone that built it already.

Linky

so this is about  List.

The angle of list is the degree to which a vessel heels (leans or tilts) to either port or starboard. A listing vessel is stable and at equilibrium, but the distribution of weight aboard (often caused by uneven loading or flooding) causes it to heel to one side.

oh Hello and   :post1: NickDandy.

hope you post your working progress in NON LSP forum of your tug boat.

it would be great to see it. 

Enjoy.

:yahoo:

thank you and Enjoy the Forums   ...  WE are a friendly (  :wicked: )  bunch..

and helpful ....

MARU 5137

AthwartshipTransverse or across a vessel from side to side.AthwartshipsAcross the ship, at right angles to the centreline.

an example of THWARTSHIP  framing.. see below;

The hulls are four-compartment vessels with thwartships framing, longitudinally braced, with continuous engineroom girders, "egg-crated" into transverse floors.,(egg created is if you imagine  an Egg Box where eggs are kept that you buy in X shop.. Egg boxes per se !,).-{   To attach two surfaces together using multiple points of attachment in a lattice pattern, often in order to provide strength while minimizing weight.-}.

Edited by MARU5137

2 hours ago, MARU5137 said:

so this is about  List.

The angle of list is the degree to which a vessel heels (leans or tilts) to either port or starboard. A listing vessel is stable and at equilibrium, but the distribution of weight aboard (often caused by uneven loading or flooding) causes it to heel to one side.

This is a use of the word that relates to boats - I don't think it is correct in the context

1 hour ago, MARU5137 said:

THWARTSHIP:

Thwartship definition: having a position across a vessel from side to side at right angles to the keel .

This is correct

Richard

but Richard isn't that what would be required as well for a  Tug Boat .. to keep it on a even keel and stabilized.

but hey if what I said was wrong MY BAD   :thumbsup:

4 minutes ago, MARU5137 said:

but Richard isn't that what would be required as well for a  Tug Boat .. to keep it on a even keel and stabilized.

but hey if what I said was wrong MY BAD   :thumbsup:

It doesn't sound right. What I think they are describing is a strip of wood under the deck to reinforce the opening, the second part describes two similar strips along the sides of the opening in the first sentence

And 'List' is a verb, they are talking about installing a thing - a noun

I have asked a couple of boat building friends

Richard

so Richard.... WE are both trying to help out our new member.... :clap2:

I know this is a long shot but do you think that building a boat of similar kind(in this case what the thread is about) but as a RC model will have the same principle as a model like Nick is building.. 

see what you think of these videos of RC Model   the guy is building  A Samson  tug boat. 

There are 7 or so videos by the same gentleman.

part 2 is Frame and Decking.

part 3 is Hull planking. 

Watch "RC84Films: Part 4 Samson Tugboat Build Project" on YouTube  Putying the BRIDGE together:

Watch "RC84Films : Samson TugBoat Project Part 2" on YouTube

Watch "RC84Films : Part 3 Samson TugBoat Project" on YouTube