Tamiya F-51D Inbound?

John1

13 minutes ago, LSP_K2 said:

I just checked my own review of the Mosquito kit, and there are indeed numerous holes in the lower wings, but I have no idea what they're for.

Unfortunately those holes are in the wrong spot to be suitable for rocket mounting points. Not to mention way too big in diameter. 

Aviaeology includes a placement guide for the rockets on the Coastal Command decal sheet. On the Banff Wing one, they even have plans for the rockets rails and the drop tank guard rail as well. Sadly their actual rocket rail set is still MIA. 

Carl

If you look closely at most Tamiya 1/32 kits, you will see they were designed from day one to release other variants. This is 100% obvious. Fuselage cuts, inserts, useless photoetched or even plastic parts show that easily. In most cases one or two sprues, possibly another canopy, other decals, instructions and box would have been sufficient. As research work has already been done the final investment would stay very limited in comparison with any fully new kit. Faa Corsair, A6M3 type 22 and 32, F-15D, F-16 A, B mlu & D, Spit Mk. V and VI, Mosquitoes,...! 

Might get this one. Did the Air National Guard ever fly F-51Ds or was that mainly H's? 

Foreign options would be interesting.

Looking fwd to seeing the box art.

Still hoping for a bullnose Mossie NF.XVII/XIX. 

Zoukei-Mura seems the best bet for new F-4 variants, but likely after my time.

It's a good thing to know that Tamiya are still in the 1/32 lane, even just on idle.

Tony

39 minutes ago, Tony T said:

Might get this one. Did the Air National Guard ever fly F-51Ds or was that mainly H's? 

Foreign options would be interesting.

Looking fwd to seeing the box art.

Still hoping for a bullnose Mossie NF.XVII/XIX. 

Zoukei-Mura seems the best bet for new F-4 variants, but likely after my time.

It's a good thing to know that Tamiya are still in the 1/32 lane, even just on idle.

Tony

Oh yes, they flew Ds as well, and I think other states as well as New Mexico used their State emblem instead of a national marking, although this was very short-lived I believe - see my photo earlier in the thread.

Also notice on the ANG aircraft, the extended tube (and its shadow) from the crankcase vent. Often you will see a long oil stain streaking back from the hole after the aircraft has flown inverted for a length of time, or been involved in heavy maneuvering. Guessing this tube was meant to release the vented oil further out into the slipstream? I've seen different variations of this tube, some of them extending out and then curving back.

Richard

2 hours ago, R Palimaka said:

Also notice on the ANG aircraft, the extended tube (and its shadow) from the crankcase vent. Often you will see a long oil stain streaking back from the hole after the aircraft has flown inverted for a length of time, or been involved in heavy maneuvering. Guessing this tube was meant to release the vented oil further out into the slipstream? I've seen different variations of this tube, some of them extending out and then curving back.

Richard

Never noticed that before.   Was that a widespread mod on post-war Mustangs?   

17 hours ago, John1 said:

Never noticed that before.   Was that a widespread mod on post-war Mustangs?   

It doesn't seem to be a standard modification or common.  I took a quick look at some images of Mustangs in Korea, and ANG Mustangs, and I only found a few. I know RCAF Mustangs didn't have them.

FexQ6n9h.jpg

kmuO8cTh.jpg

Edited by R Palimaka

We'll, I found the kit listed on Tamiyablog so I guess that's confirmation that the kit is indeed coming out. 

https://tamiyablog.com/2019/12/some-upcoming-2020-tamiya-releases/

It's not under the list of January releases so may be coming in February.

With the relationship that Borgfeldt Canada has with Tamiya, I wonder how quickly it'll show up here.

Carl

On 12/2/2019 at 6:56 AM, thierry laurent said:

Well, they could release 'new' kits for at least ten years if they simply considered variants of their existing kits! 

... as long as those variants include a Mk.I and a Mk.Vb Spitfire ... we're all good.

Glad to see Tamiya releasing more '32 scale merch' though!

Rog :)