Tamiya F-51D Inbound?

John1

A gent posted this link on anther thread.   

https://www.luckymodel.com/scale.aspx?item_no=TA 60328

Lucky Models is showing Tamiya to be releasing an F-51D (at an undetermined point in the future).    Anyone have any intel this?    The current Mustang kit has many features to lead one to believe that at some point they planned to release a later vintage Mustang but I'm still quite surprised to see this kit listed.

Of course, it would be ironic, now that I'm well into my F-51D project that Tamiya actually does release this kit. 

45 minutes ago, John1 said:

Of course, it would be ironic, now that I'm well into my F-51D project that Tamiya actually does release this kit. 

It's one of the rules. A beautiful injection moulded version of a kit will be released as soon as you pass the halfway point of building a conversion or modification of that same aircraft. :)

You're right, there were many interesting indications that they were doing a later version, including the separate panel on the sides of the radiator just behind the wingroot. 

If it's true, that will be good news for those of us doing post-war Mustangs of any air force.

Richard

Edited by R Palimaka

10 hours ago, The Dude said:

Man that would be awesome! I would be in for a few.

On behalf of the folks on this forum I thank you John for your sacrifice to the plastic Gods!  :bow:

You are welcome!!  I can now also tell you that Tamiya's next LS release will be a Coastal Command Mosquito, replete with RP's, 100 gal tanks, etc.   

How do I know this?  Because that's my next project and I have no doubt that halfway through it, T will announce this kit as well.

You can thank me now...

13 minutes ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Not much really.  They'll probably do an uncuffed HS prop and HVAR stubs.  Many in Korea had a louvered vent panel just behind the trailing edge of the wing.

In addition, most had a different radio fit aft of the pilots seat and some minor revisions in the cockpit.    Also, many ANG birds had a different style of drop tank.   

I'm pleased to hear this news.   Not so much because I need another F-51D but becaused, if true,  is does indicate that Tamiya still has a bit of interest in the 32nd scale field.  Now granted, releasing this version isn't a great leap for them, at best, it's just a small sprue with the extra bits and some new decals.  That being said, a few folks here on LSP postulated that Tamiya might be getting away entirely from this scale so any activity is a plus in my book.   If they are playing it conservatively, maybe the next kit will be another Mosquito version?  

I am curious how this news ended up being released on a single retail website.  Typically, Tamiya announces their new kits with a bit more flourish.   I do wonder if Lucky Models might have jumped the gun on this one! 

46 minutes ago, thierry laurent said:

Well, they could release 'new' kits for at least ten years if they simply considered variants of their existing kits! 

I'm not so sure.  I'm not an expert but assuming we are talking about very "low effort" releases such as the F-51D, I think there options are a bit limited.  With the F-51D, the Mustang series has gone as far as it can go.   Can't easily tweak this kit into a B/C.   I think the Spitfire series is tapped out, along with the early Corsairs (making a -4/5 out of the existing base kit is a massive effort).  Not sure about the Zero series, I thought the only one not offered was a Hamp and that would be a somewhat major undertaking.  

The one 32nd kit that has some promise is the Mosquito.  I think they could easily offer a Coastal Command variant.  Does anyone know if the existing kit has flashed over holes for the RP racks, like the current Mustang kits do?  That would be an indicator that Tamiya built in some provisions to release other versions.   Next up in order of difficulty would be a bomber nose or night fighter version.  Lastly, if they really wanted to, they could dive into the 2-staged Merlin series without replacing half the sprues on the base kit. 

I didn't mention the F-16D because I honestly don't think the interest is there, despite the pleas from some folks.  

4 hours ago, John1 said:

The one 32nd kit that has some promise is the Mosquito.  I think they could easily offer a Coastal Command variant.  Does anyone know if the existing kit has flashed over holes for the RP racks, like the current Mustang kits do?  That would be an indicator that Tamiya built in some provisions to release other versions.   Next up in order of difficulty would be a bomber nose or night fighter version.  Lastly, if they really wanted to, they could dive into the 2-staged Merlin series without replacing half the sprues on the base kit. 

I just checked my own review of the Mosquito kit, and there are indeed numerous holes in the lower wings, but I have no idea what they're for.