AK-Extreme metallic paints - feedback?

John1

27 minutes ago, Iain said:

Have been using for a couple of years now - they are my favourite/go to metal finish now - replacing Alclad on my shelves.

Iain

Good to hear this Iain, are we talking the Mr Color here rather than AK?

18 minutes ago, Iain said:

Ooops - sorry Max - the AK Extreme  :)

I haven't tried the Mr Color Supermetallic - yet!

Iain

Brilliant, thanks Iain! I’m thinking ahead for my Fury, Hart, Demon, Siskin and Bulldog. :huh: by the way, a Silver Wings Siskin’s on eBay right now already bid  up to £181.00 as of 9.00am today with a little while yet to go. I’m watching it just out of interest, with a rather smug smile on my face!! :D

• 3 weeks later...

Quick question - I just got my paints and tried them out on some scrap plastic.  Very impressed.  I like the way they go down. 

However, I want to replicated some pretty weathered NMF.   Can I add some white / grey to these to tone them down?  If so, what type of paint?   I've got MM acrylic and MM enamel, would either of these work?

10 minutes ago, John1 said:

Quick question - I just got my paints and tried them out on some scrap plastic.  Very impressed.  I like the way they go down. 

However, I want to replicated some pretty weathered NMF.   Can I add some white / grey to these to tone them down?  If so, what type of paint?   I've got MM acrylic and MM enamel, would either of these work?

I can't answer your question John, but having investigated these paints for my own use and looked at several reviews and trials, it's possible that the type of "undercoat" may affect the shininess, ie the glossier the undercoat the shinier the topcoat and conversely the more matte the undercoat the less shiny the topcoat?  Worth a trial I'd have thought. 

7 minutes ago, mozart said:

I can't answer your question John, but having investigated these paints for my own use and looked at several reviews and trials, it's possible that the type of "undercoat" may affect the shininess, ie the glossier the undercoat the shinier the topcoat and conversely the more matte the undercoat the less shiny the topcoat?  Worth a trial I'd have thought. 

Yup, I'm on it.   I used flat gull grey as a primer but the AK stuff still came out too shiny for my needs, even the Matt Aluminum.    I guess I''ll just do a test shot with adding some flat white to the paint and see how it works.   Just was curious if anyone had some first-hand experience.  

Also curious how this stuff reacts to topcoats such as Tamiya gloss, Modlemaster Dullcoate, etc.  

So in case anyone is interested, I used regular Modelmaster flat white enamel to dull down Matt Aluminum.   It worked great.  No issues at all.   Still need to work on the ratio to find the right finish but I’m on the right path!   

Another bit of info if it helps anyone - don't go light on the airbrusher cleaner after using this stuff.   It's almost like some acrylics I've shot.   You get a pretty significant internal buildup after a session or two.   Took me an hour to field strip my airbrush and chip away the solidified pigment.  

• 4 weeks later...

I just used a couple of AK Extreme Metal colors that I picked up from LHS.  They spray and look great (sprayed over Mr Color Gloss Black) but noticed paint wearing off when handled.  Seemed more susceptible to this than Alclad.  Has anyone else experienced this?