AK-Extreme metallic paints - feedback?

John1

Title says it all, any feedback on these paints?   Are they enamels?   How well do they spray?  How do they look?

Any info is appreciated.  

EDIT - I just found the very comprehensive review done here on LSP.    That being said, I'll still appreciated other's feedback.   In particular, if anyone has experience using these paints to replicate a very weathered, NMF paintjob. 

Edited by John1

They are the best metal paints I have ever used.  I think they are a lacquer, but you can use AK enamel washes right over them with no ill effects. Flory did a nice video review which is what got me hooked. You’ll forget all about Alclad that’s for sure!

Right now AK has a Black Friday 25% off promo That ends tomorrow. 

I just bought some today based on the Flory video. I have not tried them yet but they sure seemed expensive at $11.49 US per bottle. I like to support the local hobby shop when I can but I'll shop for it on line next time. I'm going to try them on a 1/48 project before I try it on 1/32 the Tamiya Mustang. 

I'm not affiliated with AK - just a very happy customer!  

Through today, they are about $4.20 each depending upon what conversion factor you use from AK Direct.  It's extremely forgiving and easy to work with as long as your surface is smooth.  I've found it to be nowhere near as finicky as Alclad.  Don't get me wrong I see some great stuff on here from other modelers using Alclad, but I've never had much luck with the stuff.  The smell is comparable with Alclad.

Their "Real Colors" paints are amazing too.   It's an acrylic lacquer based product, but I have been able to get great results using them.  Compared to paints like MRP or other lacquers the smell is not too bad.  Even with a spray booth, other inhabitants in my house would complain about the smell using MRP, but not with Real Colors if you use their thinner.  Nobody even knows I'm airbrushing and I don't use the spray booth all the time.  You can also use enamel based washes on top of either Xtreme metal or Real Colors and they are unaffected as you weather them.  This product range has really helped me get some great results!

If you spend over 200 euro you get free DHL air shipping worldwide, which isn't hard to do with all the paints, weathering supplies, tools, brushes, etc on their website!   Takes about 4 business days from Spain to my doorstep in PA.

Edited by cxk5075

1 hour ago, cxk5075 said:

I'm not affiliated with AK - just a very happy customer!  

Through today, they are about $4.20 each depending upon what conversion factor you use from AK Direct.  It's extremely forgiving and easy to work with as long as your surface is smooth.  I've found it to be nowhere near as finicky as Alclad.  Don't get me wrong I see some great stuff on here from other modelers using Alclad, but I've never had much luck with the stuff.  The smell is comparable with Alclad.

Their "Real Colors" paints are amazing too.   It's an acrylic lacquer based product, but I have been able to get great results using them.  Compared to paints like MRP or other lacquers the smell is not too bad.  Even with a spray booth, other inhabitants in my house would complain about the smell using MRP, but not with Real Colors if you use their thinner.  Nobody even knows I'm airbrushing and I don't use the spray booth all the time.  You can also use enamel based washes on top of either Xtreme metal or Real Colors and they are unaffected as you weather them.  This product range has really helped me get some great results!

If you spend over 200 euro you get free DHL air shipping worldwide, which isn't hard to do with all the paints, weathering supplies, tools, brushes, etc on their website!   Takes about 4 business days from Spain to my doorstep in PA.

Thanks for the info!  Last question, for a 32nd Mustang, how many bottles would be necessary to assure full coverage?  Can I get by with one?   Also, do you apply over a primer or direct on the plastic?  

Not something I’d ever considered to be honest. But sorting out my paints for inventory today and seeing a few nearly dead Alclad bottles and this thread I decided to watch the Flory video. I saw the one where he didn’t rate them much first and then watched the second one with the F-104 build and loved them. So I was persuaded to try them as I needed some new metallic paints anyway and they are currently on offer on the AK we store.  So I ordered a bottle of each of the shades I’m likely to use. Already use their primer and love it. Ordered a couple of the Japanese colours for a future A6M5 build (1/48 before you get excited). And just in case I needed any further persuasion to complete my order a very nice price on the Meng 1/48 Me-410 kit. Only slight problem was the Matt Aluminium being out of stock but I can get that elsewhere. 

Edited by ade rowlands

1 hour ago, John1 said:

Thanks for the info!  Last question, for a 32nd Mustang, how many bottles would be necessary to assure full coverage?  Can I get by with one?   Also, do you apply over a primer or direct on the plastic?  

In answer to your last question, Kev’s review from 2015 is essential reading because he covers in a very systematic and logical fashion the ways that we may try them.....he’s done the hard work for us! But finally, Yes, always apply a primer of any colour and get the smoothest finish you can before using the metallic paint. 

Just re-read your introductory post John, I see you’ve looked at Kev’s review. 

Edited by mozart

On ‎11‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 7:12 AM, John1 said:

any feedback on these paints

I bought some recently to try out. I haven't done any full builds yet but sprayed some things to test out washes. AK brand Panelliners seem fine as well as homemade oil/Turpenoid. Tamiya Paneliner and Ammo Mig PLW's etched the finish. That's without any clear coats. I believe the Flory video says they're Enamel. They use their wash product in the video, that seems fine but I've never used that. In an AK video they stick a painted part in a tub of White Spirit with no ill effect. I'm guessing any Acrylic washes/filters would be fine....

8 hours ago, John1 said:

One bottle of Aluminum is plenty to do an entire 1/32 P-51.  If you get a couple different metals you’ll have more than enough. I would use their black primer, though you supposedly don’t have to. Good luck!

i just got a cyber Monday email 25% off with a voucher for 5% off a future order. Good luck!

On 12/1/2019 at 3:58 AM, cxk5075 said:

They are the best metal paints I have ever used.  I think they are a lacquer, but you can use AK enamel washes right over them with no ill effects. Flory did a nice video review which is what got me hooked. You’ll forget all about Alclad that’s for sure!

I thought Phil Flory was a bit ambivalent about the AK metallics when it came to whether they could satisfactorily withstand masking. I fully expected him to find that primed metallics were ok with it but not so it seems, so I’m left wondering whether to go down that route. 

After watching the Flory YT vids some time ago and i went with his preferred paint of the two,  the Vallejo option instead of AK. I'm about to use them 'in anger' for the first time on a non-LSP NMF P-38 build.

9 hours ago, mozart said:

I thought Phil Flory was a bit ambivalent about the AK metallics when it came to whether they could satisfactorily withstand masking. I fully expected him to find that primed metallics were ok with it but not so it seems, so I’m left wondering whether to go down that route. 

Only sharing my experience, but masking is no problem.  Masking to pick out panels to apply different shades is no issue at all. They are durable too as you handle your model and hold up very well. 

9 minutes ago, modelingbob said:

Yes. They are fantastic. They airbrush beautifully, dry quickly, very durable, and are resistant to masking pull up. 

Thanks Bob, that confirms what I've been told at our local club. :punk: