F-15 avionics bay

I know early on the av bay was that metallic blue green color.....I also know at some point the av bay was painted white....I think it is around 1980 but can't confirm it. When did the change occur? Also if an early jet went through depot mtc say in 1990 would the blue green get changed to white?

Thanks

2 hours ago, Rob Colvin said:

Thanks for the conformation and link.....I wonder if the bay was repainted later in life? 

Yes, again according to Melampy's book, Pre-'80 "Bay 5's" were often painted white after maintenance.  I have some pics of what I did with my 1980 F-15C here:

Bay 5 Details

Cheers,

Chuck

While attending school in 1982 at St. Louis for "Project Peace Sun" (Royal Saudi A.F. F-15C/D program) the aircraft (USAF, IAF & RSAF) on the factory floor had blue green Av bays and bay 5 was white.

Barry

Bay 5 was not repainted white on the older models, that is a myth floating around for awhile. To actually have Bay5 repainted in white would be time and maintenance consuming as there is just too much plumbing and wiring bundles that would either be removed or masked. There was floors repainted gray for corrosion purposes as the floor was in a habit of developing cracks as the bay was used for golf clubs and baggage when country or TDY. These were painted the Light gray and zinc chromate green as the metallic green paint was applied like electroplating. Main and nose wheel wells were this green Color on A models, I remember getting paint Chips on my hand when serviceIng hydraulics?

On 11/29/2019 at 1:40 PM, Rob Colvin said:

I know early on the av bay was that metallic blue green color.....I also know at some point the av bay was painted white....I think it is around 1980 but can't confirm it. When did the change occur? Also if an early jet went through depot mtc say in 1990 would the blue green get changed to white?

Thanks

This precise question has come up before and I recorded notes from an F-15 mechanic/maintenance guy who spent years crawling all over these jets.

He said: "If FY80 or newer, the Bay 5 (area behind pilot) is white, not the weird blue/green metallic.

However, the forward avionics bays are still the weird blue green color."

Edited by ringleheim

2 hours ago, ringleheim said:

This precise question has come up before and I recorded notes from an F-15 mechanic/maintenance guy who spent years crawling all over these jets.

He said: "If FY80 or newer, the Bay 5 (area behind pilot) is white, not the weird blue/green metallic.

However, the forward avionics bays are still the weird blue green color."

Just to let you know the  tail number is 79 -0471, that’s the termination from metallic green to gloss white. I had to check my logs from crawling all over the jet for 21 years.

cheers

dave 

Edited by eaglekeeper