XB-51 Dragon

Dandiego

As promised in my last post here are some pics of the metal supports.

z9hMSpM.jpg

7tbrmWj.jpg

In the second picture you can see the plastic spreader bar that keeps both sides firmly in place. I will be adding 2 more spreader bars.

Now on to the cockpit assembly.

Dan

Edited by Dandiego

Before I can start working on the cockpit I thought that I should come up with a seat so that I could design the cockpit around the seat.

So what kind of seat did the B-51 use.......................................Exactly, I don't know either.

And you will only be able to see the top half through the small canopy, so..................

I think that if I build a "kinda" representative 1950's seat no one will be able to call me out on it.

So here is what I have. Cobbled together from several sources.

XEO8Pft.jpg

TmA37cu.jpg

Small refinements and extra details to follow.

Dan

Edited by Dandiego

Getting close to gluing the first fuselage side to the keel. With a vacform model the plastic is thin and there is usually a very small gluing surface. So I have added lots of styrene bars to increase the total surface area that will glue the fuselage half to the keel.

BfdOtM1.jpg

DNLoPlw.jpg

In the last photo you can see the 2 metal supports for the engines. I have modified the attachment of the rear support. Instead of running all the way from one side to the other I have installed it like the front support by bending it so that it can be glued to the inside of the fuselage.

8Z7P9xM.jpg

Later, Dan

53 minutes ago, Alain Gadbois said:

Very nice work on this fascinating prototype!

Do you need info on the cockpit or wheel wells?

Alain

Alain, I have the B-51  book by Scott Libis. I also have a Wings magazine and a Planes of Fame magazine. 

They have some cockpit and wheel well photos. If you have other sources I would be very interested. 

Dan

Edited by Dandiego

2 minutes ago, Dandiego said:

Alain, I have the B-51  book by Scott Ibis.

It has some cockpit and wheel well photos. If you have another source I would be very interested. 

Dan

Yes, that's the one I have. A good reference and probably the only one around with so much information.

Alain

Some more work on the cockpit and center engine inlet.

Cockpits. The amount of detail that you will be able to see will be minimal. The forward cockpit sits under a very small canopy which will limit the amount that you will be able to see. I will however do some detailing, and will add generic detail in and around the cockpit. I will focus on the cowl and instrument panel.

7ZFewqm.jpg

The rear cockpit will be even harder to see. There is a small glazing above the space and a small circular window on the starboard side. 

dfKQbGz.jpg

The center engine can be seen roughly in its place. Much fitting will need to be done when the port fuselage is glued in place.

L4uTdGA.jpg

oeLTNd4.jpg

Dan

Edited by Dandiego

Here are some in progress photos of the front cockpit.

I have built the whole front office as 1 component that can be slid in and out. This will allow me to get the basic cockpit to fit into the fuselage but allow me to detail it outside. Still lots to do. I have added a little interior green to some areas.

NeGgDZY.jpg

VgLgNy6.jpg

3JNFWgn.jpg

Dan