XB-51 Dragon

Dandiego

A little more prep work on the engines.

First are the completed exhaust assemblies. My low cost printer leaves visible ridges on the parts. So to get a smoother surface I sand them down and then slather them with putty. After they are dry they are sanded again. The tubes are really a 64 sided polygon so the inside is sanded and putty applied to get a smother appearance.

1MB2ieR.jpg

Next is the intake, 3D printed cone and tube. Turbine face is handmade, because I couldn't figure out how to design it on my computer.

euBdYPG.jpg

Some alignment aids have been added to the inside of the engine pod.

MKCa424.jpg

Whole thing, getting ready to close up the pod.

p4cZGhw.jpg

Dan 

Edited by Dandiego

• 2 weeks later...

Micro update.

I have sprayed internal engine components with Alclad gloss black. When dry I will shoot on some metallic colors.

BWHKLEm.jpg

sXjrwNO.jpg

You can see completed turbine blades on the clothes pin.

Slow progress when doing a vac. Nothing is easy, no alignment pins, nothing to support internal structures, lots of fiddly work.

Dan

Ok,

All 4 wheels glued together and slathered with putty.

zPUPMIQ.jpg

Metal peg for the outrigger gear.

bHLCdl2.jpg

Wing half with plastic bulkheads, and for a more solid wing, blobs of Bondo. The bondo is mixed and applied and before it cures the wing top is mashed down on top forming even more internal support.

N222ZBa.jpg

rAsDpg8.jpg

And finally the wing top is glued to the wing blank and assorted supports. Clamped to the table to ensure everything is straight.

VsvPIWo.jpg

Later, Dan

Port wing basic construction is finished. Lots of fine details to work on, obviously but it looks like a wing. I have inserted the metal tab between the 2 layers of the workbench and it holds just fine. I will need to bend the tab to produce a 6 degree anhedral. A quick blast of some grey primer has been applied to highlight any areas needing additional work.

pdL3Fa3.jpg

The large flap has just been fitted to check the fit.

Dan