XB-51 Dragon

Dandiego

A new WIP, a rare subject and an even rarer kit.

I have always had a thing for this jet. Its unique look has always intrigued me. I built the Collectaire kit in 1/48th scale about 15 years ago and it turned out ok. But hopefully I can do a better job this time around. I bought this 2 years ago off of Ebay. I didn't even know that this kit existed until I saw it online. This is a homemade Vacform made by an LSP member. I wonder how many he made, just how rare this is. Did he made 20, or only 5?? 

No, I don't know where I will display it when I am done. I am hoping to have this ready for the 2021 IPMS Nationals in Las Vegas.

Anyway.... After my recent move I have set up a new workbench and have started cutting plastic. The kit arrived in a loose plastic bag jammed into a box. All of the main pieces had been cut from the carrier sheet. The overall shapes look really good. The plastic is a little on the thin side and I will need to reinforce the wings and fuselage as I get into main construction. 

Here are some overall shots as I begin construction.

New workbench. Still a little cluttered, I have not totally settled in yet.

pHeoPm5.jpg

Forward fuselage and 1:32 scale plans.

aYZvu8y.jpg

The whole enchilada taped together. I have already cut out the wheel wells. Length of fuselage is 32 inches.

XuwsRmF.jpg

R9ttMMs.jpg

Rear fuselage.

cLN6tnr.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Dan

Edited by Dandiego

Talk about a rare and fascinating subject! I had a vague idea of it, but had to look it up for the full story.

Even though it doesn't have a propeller, I'm really looking forward to see what you do with this build. It's going to be huge.  Good for you for tackling this one.

Richard

Wow, Dan this is going to be badass! You are reaching a whole new level with this kit! I enjoy your builds immensely, this is going to be a real treat! 

Always loved the “Buck Rogers spacecraft” lines of this airplane! Keep the updates coming. With your skills on these vacs and scratchbuilds, I would definitely put you up there with the late-great Larry Hawkins!

THOR :ph34r:

Edited by bdthoresen

Thanks guys for the comments.

Yes featured in the film "Towards the Unknown". If you search for videos from this film there are some spectacular shots of the jet inflight. The take off scene is really great.

Only 2 ever built, both destroyed in crashes. Buck Rogers is a good description.

This model was produced by Lee White, a LSP member. He split the fuselage in half so that it would fit his vac form machine. He believes that he produced less than 10 copies.

This will be a long build so buckle up. I will need to make the wings removable for easier transport. Interior details will be minimal as you won't be able to see anything. Landing gear and wheels will be a challenge. 

I may open up one of the engine nacelles. I have a Kittyhawk F-86D which comes with a full J-47 engine. 

Dan

Edited by Dandiego

A small update.

I am adding bulkheads to the middle of the fuselage. Basically I am adding strength and defining the wheelwells.

vdE9fnC.jpg

Cutout for the rear well.

Su0I6Ju.jpg?1

Tailplane.

45hj8kw.jpg

Overall look at major components taped together. This is an important stage for me as it gets me excited to see what it will look like.

G1TMLeJ.jpg

Dan

Edited by Dandiego