Favorite kit by Manufacturer

Cicchino

Started looking at my collection and thinking about the best kit (accuracy, ease of build, enjoyment) I have by manufacturer, here’s where I landed - how about you?

Tamiya: F4U

Hasegawa: Ki-84

Revell: P-51D

Trumpeter: TBF/ TBM

HKM: B-25

ZM: A-1

Special Hobby: Yak-3

Hobby Boss: Il2-3m

Roden: Fokker Dr-1

WNW: Fokker D-VII

Airfix: Typhoon

PCM: Spitfire XIV

regards, 

John Cicchino

I agree with the Tamiya 1/32 Corsair; one of the best kits I've ever made from anyone in any scale regarding any subject matter.

I disagree about the WNW DVII; that is somewhat tricky and the way it was engineered requiring the user to make his own shim to close up the body work is ridiculous.  To date my favorite WNW build is the Pfalz D.III; went together really nicely and it has a manageable amount of rigging.

I don't have a favorite Revell kit; they're terrible! 

In no particular order, my favourites 5...

Tamiya Mosquito, I've yet to build anything with engineering and fit, any better than this kit. It falls together with so little need for putty or sanding. The detail for an out of the box build is off the charts brilliant.

Revell P-51D, I couldn't afford to splash cash on the Tamiya/Zoukei/Trumpeter offerings. I was massively surprised at how well it went together with very little trimming or sanding to fit. Excellent value for money once you see

it built and painted.

Accurate Armour 1/35 Lynx AH7 resin kit, this one provided me with the most satisfactory build I've completed. It's a beautiful finished model, highly detailed, but an absolute dog to get together. Loads of cutting, sanding, manipulating, and endless test fitting before committing to glue. 

Academy F-16I Sufa, this one is another out of the box stunner.  I love the variety of weapons on offer. Stunning colour paintwork, with beautifully decals. Needs a bit of thought with the fit but generally goes together well. 

Tamiya F-16C 'Thunderbirds', I wish I still had one on the shelf but it ended up trashed because I had no knowledge of stripping decals,  paint, etc back then. All of the kit decals cracked and flaked off the model, again because I didn't know about varnishing, etc. I would have loved to have a set of masks to spray the paintwork onto the jet. Another fall together kit thanks to Tamiyas legendary engineering. I only hope they re-issue it one day. 

Why not!

Tamiya: P-51D (just too many marking options!)

Hasegawa: Fw-190 (not easy builds, a little clunky, but I love the way they look when completed)

Revell: Ju-88 (along with AIMS conversions, so many possibilities here. Ju-88G-6 will be on the bench at some point in 2020)

Trumpeter: TBM/TBF Avenger series

HKM: B-17 series (even though inaccurate in some parts, a really fun build!)

ZM: Ki-45 (haven't started it yet, but its gorgeous in the box)

Special Hobby: N/A, never built any of their stuff, but have a Yak-3 on the way.

Hobby Boss: F-84 (such a lovely kit, maybe their best)

Roden: N/A

WNW: Fokker D.1, seeing as I have only completed this one kit of theirs.

Airfix: Typhoon, even though I haven't built it yet.

PCM: N/A

Dragon: Bf-110 series (a Bf-110G-2 with an AIMS conversion will see the bench in 2020 as well)

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA

Not presently qualified to comment as I seem to be a collector who is unable to build much, but dog-of-the-year still is the Trumpeter MiG-21F-13 Fishbed C, which is a lovely looking jet otherwise. 

Greatest Collector's Joy from unbuilt kits goes to: 

Tamiya --- --- --- Mosquito FB.VI 

Hasegawa .. ... Zero Type 52 (new tool) 

Revell - --- --- --- Me 262 B 

Italeri .. ... ... ... TF-104G Starfighter 

Trumpeter -- --- A-6A Intruder 

Hobby Boss ... F-84G Thunderjet 

Special Hobby X-15 with tanks & ground dolly 

Fly ... ... ... ... ... Wessex 

Happy turkey munching America (how I miss the Red Lion) 

Tony 

My picks would be a little bit different, the subject being the most important for me, ease of the build is secondary, total accuracy is not in the running, enjoyment is paramount though some of them were challenging.

PCM: Fiat G55, challenging but great when finished

Azur: Bloch 152, great kit

Azur Ms 406C, great kit

Azur Curtis H75 in French service, challenging but good.

Hasegawa Ki 84, great kit, a very satifying build

Hasegawa: Messerschmitt 109G6, after years of 1970's Revell kits this was great

20th Century Macchi C205, very enjoyable build

Special HobbY: P-39, challenging but enjoyable

Revell: He 219, distraction build but I learnt a lot building it, very enjoyable

Trumpeter: MiG 3, very easy and enjoyable build

Hobbyboss: Spitfire Mk V and Trop, easy to build and a well engineered kit

Cheers

Dennis