B-17E, 41-2446 - The Swamp Ghost

ChuckD

Here she is at long last.  It's been 1008 days since cracking the box (Feb 19, 2017) that this model has come to fruition, but in the end, I'm very happy with the result.  

This is The Swamp Ghost

In early 1942, B-17E 41-2446 was ferried across the Pacific and arrived in Townsville, Australia on February 20th.  In the early morning hours of February 23rd, with pilot Fred Eaton at the controls, she took off as part of a nine ship group that was to bomb Japanese positions on Rabaul.  This historic first offensive use of American heavy bombers in the Pacific saw the fledgling group separated by night and bad weather, so that when Eaton arrived over Rabaul, he and his crew were alone.  The bombs failed to drop on the first run, so Eaton swung around and tried again.  This time the bombs released and he sped away towards New Guinea with Japanese fighters hot on his tail.  Shot up and leaking fuel, he knew he didn't have enough gas to clear the Owen Stanley mountains on New Guinea, so he decided to put the aircraft down in a field.  The field turned out to be a festering swamp full of 8' tall kunai grass, snakes, spiders, and crocodiles.  He and his crew abandoned the bomber, slogged for days through the thick razor grass, and finally met up with friendly natives who were able to get them home over the course of several months.  

For decades, the bomber lay undisturbed.  Finally, in 2004, she was plucked from the swamp and made her way to the Pacific Aviation Museum in Pearl Harbor, HI where she is on display today in her original state.  

This is my rendition of the aircraft as she would have appeared during her brief stay in Australia prior to her loss.  As mentioned in the build thread, the biggest issue was that I had to scratch build the remotely operated belly turret, as the HKM kit only includes the far more common ball turret.  I'm not much of a scratch builder, so this was a challenge for me.  In the end, I feel it came out pretty well.  I was able to use a lot of parts straight from the kit in order to fashion the remote turret.  I did throw some Eduard PE at it, though in the end, I'm not sure it was totally worth it.  The pre-painted stuff just isn't all that impressive to me, but to each their own.  There are no known pictures of the aircraft prior to her loss, so some creative license was taken here and there.  I made some assumptions based on pictures of aircraft from the same unit or around the same timeframe.  Wherever possible, I referenced photos of the actual aircraft both in the swamp and after her recovery.  

It was painted primarily with Tamiya paints.  The tail numbers were a custom stencil I printed and hand cut.  The insignia stencils were custom ordered from Maketar.  As it was essentially new when it was lost, I went very easy on the weathering.  Kit fit was okay.  Seam cleanup was a bear and I ended up having to re-rivet a good chunk of... everything.  The turtle deck doesn't like to fit well, but in the end things came out okay.  

Anyway, enough blabbering.  Hope you enjoy.  It's been a great ride.

SG_Complete_01.jpg

SG_Complete_02.jpg

SG_Complete_03.jpg

SG_Complete_04.jpg

SG_Complete_05.jpg

SG_Complete_06.jpg

SG_Complete_07.jpg

SG_Complete_08.jpg

SG_Complete_09.jpg

SG_Complete_10.jpg

SG_Complete_11.jpg

SG_Complete_12.jpg

SG_Complete_13.jpg

SG_Complete_14.jpg

SG_Complete_15.jpg

SG_Complete_16.jpg

SG_Complete_17.jpg

SG_Complete_18.jpg

SG_Complete_19.jpg

SG_Complete_20.jpg

SG_Complete_21.jpg

SG_Complete_22.jpg

SG_Complete_23.jpg

SG_Complete_24.jpg

SG_Complete_25.jpg

SG_Complete_26.jpg

SG_Complete_27.jpg

SG_Complete_28.jpg

SG_Complete_29.jpg

SG_Complete_30.jpg

SG_Complete_31.jpg

SG_Complete_32.jpg

SG_Complete_33.jpg

SG_Complete_34.jpg

SG_Complete_35.jpg

SG_Complete_36.jpg

SG_Complete_37.jpg

WOW! That's awesome! Sprayed on national insignia looks very good. I've been to Townsville several times from when I was stationed on Okinawa. 

I saw a picture of Swamp Ghost from way back when it was found I think. Guy standing on a wing holding about a 5 foot long black snake that I'm sure was 

deadly. I felt poisoned just looking at it! Nice job...I know it took awhile but you should be proud of it.

Cheers...Ron 

5 minutes ago, aircommando130 said:

WOW! That's awesome! Sprayed on national insignia looks very good. I've been to Townsville several times from when I was stationed on Okinawa. 

I saw a picture of Swamp Ghost from way back when it was found I think. Guy standing on a wing holding about a 5 foot long black snake that I'm sure was 

deadly. I felt poisoned just looking at it! Nice job...I know it took awhile but you should be proud of it.

Cheers...Ron 

Snake could have been a Habu for which the SR-71s on the island were nick named.

Barry

3 hours ago, aircommando130 said:

I don't know if the Habu was off the island of Okinawa. The ones I saw when I was at Kadena were laying under my car or beside the path to the BX! Never saw one in the northern training area!

Could not say for sure myself. My stay on Kadena was a short 90 day TDY from Thailand in 74 in support of the KC-135s.

Edited by Barry

Thanks for the compliments, everyone!  I appreciate the support through the group build.

Probably the most rewarding part of this whole build has been the excitement on my son's face when he saw this:

IWWc9ds.jpg

Heavy duty drywall anchors, 6 strands of 15lb line, several thousands knots, some superglue, and a whole lot of prayer...