Kitty Hawk 1/32 Mirage 2000B/C/D & N

Stokey Pete

22 minutes ago, Kagemusha said:

Have you contacted HK regards a replacement part John? I would, you're covered by eBay, and it might be the kick up the backside they need to employ decent quality control. 

I patched it myself and continued building it. I didn't feel like waiting 3 weeks for a replacement. It's just a continuing problem that KH has with quality control.

1 hour ago, jgrease said:

Thanks Alain - that hole is a "short shot" where there was not enough plastic injected into the mold. Unfortunately this isn't the first time Kitty Hawk have had a problem with their quality control.

Okay !!! sorry I didn't understand " short shot :doh: .... 

Alain

Edited by alain11

More progress - tried to fit the nose gear door and this happened :doh::

F93sirQ.jpg?1

Shimmed it up inside the gear bay with some more sprue:

Eq0ueDN.jpg?1

In order to close the gun bay doors I had to cut some excess off the tops of the guns and sand down the insides of the doors:

6jw1GNa.jpg?1

I've now applied a layer of putty around all of the openings and seams. Sanding tomorrow. :fight:

John

Generally, you need to get a new instrument panel, and use the included radome with the strips, but reshaping the nose to a point since the -5 radome didn’t have the nose pitot.  Also, you’ll need to check the tail, wingtip, and spine antenna arrangements.  Not only are there differences between the -Cs and -5s, but also differences between country specific aircraft depending on the countermeasures suite fitted.  Except for the IP, everything should be in the box.

First off, a very Happy New Year to y’all. My work on this plane is quite the love/hate relationship- just about every time I finish a step, I have to put this thing away for a day and forget it. In any event, here’s the latest observations as I plod along, bearing in mind that none of this has been puttied yet. The nose, glass, rudder, and exhaust are just press-fit into place for these photos.

Overall, it looks like a Mirage...
nmye5oN.jpg?1

The fit of the intake assembly to the fuselage is way better than it is on the Italeri Mirage III:

Fn2ORgb.jpg?1

The nose fits pretty well, but I think it sits slightly proud of the fuselage:

Ogepldu.jpg?1

And the resin exhaust:

iY2XnjU.jpg?1

To finish up, the infamous intakes without intake ramps:

hbQVzeA.jpg?1
YAwdq8y.jpg?1

After looking at the directions and studying the parts, if anyone can explain where part G49 fits into everything in Step 45, please let me know, and post a photo.

3 hours ago, jgrease said:

After looking at the directions and studying the parts, if anyone can explain where part G49 fits into everything in Step 45, please let me know, and post a photo.

I think it’s an error in the instructions.  It looks like it’s already cast inside of the resin exhaust.  I don’t plan to use the plastic part.

Edited by Dave Williams

1 hour ago, Dave Williams said:

I think it’s an error in the instructions.  It looks like it’s already cast inside of the resin exhaust.  I don’t plan to use the plastic part.

Agreed Dave. Doesn’t seem to fit anywhere.