Kitty Hawk 1/32 Mirage 2000B/C/D & N

Stokey Pete

1 hour ago, Marcel111 said:

Thierry, Collin, I will test the Mirage 2000 decals with the Future technique once I finally get the kit. I'll take pics, and if the results are good you'll owe me a cold one.

Cheers,

Marcel

PS@ Thierry and Colin: I like the cold one REALLY cold, as in 1 deg above freezing... which can be a bit of a challenge here in Europe...

Hi Marcel 

Thanks for the detailed feedback. I'm curious about the decals you used as I've never seen such a phenomenon with Future. 

By the way, whatever is the result of your test, I would be very glad to offer you a beer! 

3 hours ago, Marcel111 said:

Glad you asked! I don't use Future as a varnish anymore since it causes some paints like Gunze to crack, I use Tamiya X-22 as a varnish. Here's the process: (1) Drop decal in water as you would usually do (2) Apply a relatively thin layer of Future to the model surface with a paint brush (3) Slide decal in place. The Future will dry pretty quickly so you don't have a whole lot of time for re-positioning. Also, Future softens the decal very aggressively (far more so than any decal solvent I have used), so after a while the decal will become so soft that it disintegrates if you try to move it. If you want to reduce the Future effect as you will want to do with large decals, thin it a little with water. If you completely screw up, fresh Future will thin dried Future so you can wipe off mistakes, but you will obviously lose the decal. If you do this, your model will initially look a bit crappy because of the very glossy areas where you applied decals, but this will disappear as you coat with flat etc.

To respond to some of the other comments above: Future dramatically softens decals, far more so than any other solution I have tried (refer to the GBU-12 pic above and note how the decal conforms to the incredibly rough surface). Future somehow creates tension in the decal such that it will be pulled down to conform to virtually any surface topography. The downside of this tension is that Future will make large decals (maybe over 2 square inches) wrinkle if not thinned down with some water. The adhesive property of Future is an additional huge bonus, I have many times accidentally applied masking tape onto a Future'd decal without it then lifting.

Thierry, Collin, I will test the Mirage 2000 decals with the Future technique once I finally get the kit. I'll take pics, and if the results are good you'll owe me a cold one.

Cheers,

Marcel

PS@ Thierry and Colin: I like the cold one REALLY cold, as in 1 deg above freezing... which can be a bit of a challenge here in Europe...

Huh..............crazy. I'm going to have to try that!   I've never liked Future for any kind of gloss coat/varnish, but this may lend new life to Future for me beyond dipping some canopies.  Seems a good way to ensure no silvering too.

2 hours ago, red Dog said:

Thank you Marcel, I'll sure try that

On 2/25/2020 at 9:08 PM, Collin said:

I only drink warm dark beer.  Come to the dark side or no-dice.  

Interested to see how Future woks on the OOB KH M2000 decals.  

Cheers

Collin

Collin, I don't know, we can agree to disagree on the use of Future but the beer divide may be a bridge too far...

• 4 weeks later...

hi

there are rumors that Arsenal is working on different stuff, namely various weapons , ejection seat ( they already have the seat on their Mirage V set , but must be reworked ..thought ) and I cross fingers ,the cockpit ...wait and see

Alain

2 hours ago, alain11 said:

hi

there are rumors that Arsenal is working on different stuff, namely various weapons , ejection seat ( they already have the seat on their Mirage V set , but must be reworked ..thought ) and I cross fingers ,the cockpit ...wait and see

Alain

Do you mean Renaissance Alain?

Both L'Arsenal & Renaissance are working on different parts.

Not yet available.

Here are the link for their shop:

http://www.larsenal.com/1-32-c102x2500034

and L'Arsenal will work on this (middle of the thread ) mainly different loads:

http://www.master194.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=110919&start=75

https://www.renaissance-models.com/ter/index.php/avions-toutes-echelles/echelle-1-32

and you can follow Renaissance (Etienne) here:

http://www.master194.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=111568&hilit=renaissance

Edited by rafju

I've got both the -C and -D/N kits now. But learning from the experts comments here on the shortcomings

on both kits, I still don't understand why KH got so many things wrong . I'm not going to buy another kit from

them before carefully researching the web for any shortcomings and how to solve the problem as cheap as

possible since they have one or two other kits I did fancy to get. I'm quite disappointed.

Lothar

1 hour ago, Lothar said:

I've got both the -C and -D/N kits now. But learning from the experts comments here on the shortcomings

on both kits, I still don't understand why KH got so many things wrong . I'm not going to buy another kit from

them before carefully researching the web for any shortcomings and how to solve the problem as cheap as

possible since they have one or two other kits I did fancy to get. I'm quite disappointed.

Lothar

Hrmmmm..............From what I have read so far, the kits seemed quite promising with what I though was fairly minor corrective stuff.

Are there more major issues that I am not aware of?

53 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

Hrmmmm..............From what I have read so far, the kits seemed quite promising with what I though was fairly minor corrective stuff.

Are there more major issues that I am not aware of?

The plastic does indeed look excellent. But without the knowledge here I would have never noticed that in the -C kit the intrument panel for the -5 version included in the marking options and decals isn't included. In the D/N version I've learned that the instrument panels are in fact for the -B version plus some of the tail marking are wrong. Plus some other - maybe minor - shortcomings like missing weapons for the pylons included in the kit. There are a few more - like the capability and position of loading two certain external fuel tanks  simultaneously etc..

Sure, I can be accused for not researching the subject I want to model carefully enough as being vital for building a model, but hey, I'm in a position where I  look for a reliableand troublefree build OOB - I really don't want to do a lot of scratch building or looking for and buying a lot of AM stuff just to correct a kit's shortcomings.

But maybe I just have to build my models just for me and enjoy them the way they are - ignoring what's wrong using what's  provided in the kit.

Lothar

Edited by Lothar

Well Lothar,

This is one of the disadvantage of social media and forum in particular (these are greatly outnumbered by the actual advantages - for the forum at least)

If nobody told you you would probably never paid attention. Now that you know about it, you feel entitled to correct KH mistakes because you feel you may be judged if you don't!

I promise no bad judgement as far as I am concerned :)

I can' t promise for the rest of the crowd but at the end of the day you look at your model and you are the sole judge that really matter of your accomplishement 

So who really cares if the IP is not 100% correct or if other small details are lacking or inconsistent.

You like the kit, built it the way you like and share it, it's you who make the effort and you decide what kind of effort and ressource you want to put into it.

It's great to have a Mirage 2000 in this scale, we have two. Not perfect but heck, I have been running after the perfect kit for the last 35 years. I'm still running. Some came close but none was ever perfect.

Go build a mirage. And if you don't I'll buy it from you :)  

Thanks guys!

I think ALL of this type of input is only, and can only be considered a good thing. A very good thing AAMOF, as those who are very concerned with total accuracy or those like Lothar who see things they cannot un-see, you can  take it as valuable information to correct the things needed. Anyone who is Ok with certain details being off can take the knowledge and do, or not do anything they want including correcting or ignoring. That's why I love this place!

12 minutes ago, red Dog said:

Well Lothar,

This is one of the disadvantage of social media and forum in particular (these are greatly outnumbered by the actual advantages - for the forum at least)

If nobody told you you would probably never paid attention. Now that you know about it, you feel entitled to correct KH mistakes because you feel you may be judged if you don't!

I promise no bad judgement as far as I am concerned :)

I can' t promise for the rest of the crowd but at the end of the day you look at your model and you are the sole judge that really matter of your accomplishement 

So who really cares if the IP is not 100% correct or if other small details are lacking or inconsistent.

You like the kit, built it the way you like and share it, it's you who make the effort and you decide what kind of effort and ressource you want to put into it.

It's great to have a Mirage 2000 in this scale, we have two. Not perfect but heck, I have been running after the perfect kit for the last 35 years. I'm still running. Some came close but none was ever perfect.

Go build a mirage. And if you don't I'll buy it from you :)  

Thanks for your encouraging comment Olivier, I guess you're absolutely right with your comment and I'll just follow your advice since

the Mirage 2000 is one of my all time favourite aircraft. If I'll decide for one version to build you'll be first to get a favourable offer for

the second one within short notice ;)

Lothar