Kitty Hawk 1/32 Mirage 2000B/C/D & N

Stokey Pete

Ok sorry for the delay as real life sometimes gets in the way. I’m still working on decals so here’s an in-progress look:

Decals on the left side. The decals are thick and do not adhere well all of the time. Soaking decals (especially the walkway lines) in Solvaset isn’t helping much. I’m repeatedly poking holes in them to try and get more setting solution to pull them flat:

UP0emEX.jpg?1

Left forward fuselage. You can see the thickness of the decals if you look at the aircraft number:

s34A4Ny.jpg?1

Left side of the rudder. Again, the “Armee De L’Air” decals are fighting every application of setting solution:

B1nO5Zm.jpg?1

My conclusion - if you have access to replacement decals then by all means get them. I wasn’t prepared to spend $40 plus shipping to get an untested brand from France on eBay. I’m hoping that an established company puts some decals out for the -D before too long.

John

Edited by jgrease

28 minutes ago, jenshb said:

Shame about the decals - looks like aftermarket is the way to go.  The colours look good though - which ones did you use?

Jens

Yes, that would be interesting to know. As jenshb said, the colours look indeed very good.

Lothar

3 hours ago, jenshb said:

Shame about the decals - looks like aftermarket is the way to go.  The colours look good though - which ones did you use?

Jens

Jens - The colors are AK Real Colors Intermediate Blue FS 35164 and AK Real Colors FS 36375. The nose is Testors Dark Gull Grey FS 36231. Thank you all for the encouragement!

John

Wow, that looks terrific! I think that's the first one I've seen in paint and/or decals.  As the others said, a shame about the decals, but I think it can be overcome. I might try another layer of gloss over the decals to possibly help blend things prior to a flat or semi-gloss coat. 

Hoping the D/N comes out soon

Looking forward to the finish! 

Thanks for the heads-up on the kit decals John.

I'm going to get two of three Berna L'armée de L'air sheets, which look great:

https://www.hannants.co.uk/search/index.php?product_category_id=&product_division_id=&manufacturer_id=&code=&product_type_id=all_decals&scale_id=953&keyword_search=Mirage+2000&setPerPage=25&currency_id=

Pity the Greek option might not be doable till some Hellenic AM emerges.

Tony 

Edited by Tony T
link activation

On 2/1/2020 at 8:41 PM, thierry laurent said:

I got mine yesterday. This is really a beautiful kit. Too bad the instructions are somewhat confusing regarding the version features. 

thierry, didn't see it overhere yet, but was interested in the decal choice given in the kit, especially greek ones if present?

Jack