Kitty Hawk 1/32 Mirage 2000B/C/D & N

Stokey Pete

Resin wheels now available, I have a few items from that manufacturer and they really are top drawer. I bought a set of decals for the French Army Puma from FFSMC, and they came without any instructions, so it may well be the case with their Mirage 2000 sets.

Berna have a set of decals on the way, instructions for the similar 1/48 version.

My observations mid-build:

- Cockpit - goes together well. Looks good aside from the missing throttle. Step 4 has you install A7 into the instrument panel, but I found that A7 fits better into the IP shroud, A5 which isn’t seen until step 59.
- Almost all the photos I’ve looked at show the large forward gear bay door (G50) closed on the ground, meaning you should leave off G56 in step 9.

- Wings - the tabs for the wings are very tight but provide an excellent join to the fuselage once you snap them in. What I’ve chosen to do is install the wing top pieces C1 and C3 into the fuselage halves prior to joining those halves together. By doing so you get literally no gap.

- Forward gear bay - aside from glue, nothing is holding the bay assembly into the fuselage assembly. I wound up putting some cut sprue between the bottom of the cockpit and the top of the gear bay just to reinforce it. 

- Fuselage - once again, Kitty Hawk provide little, if any, positive joins for the fuselage halves. Why can’t they mold in larger pegs or some kind of stronger locating parts? There’s no reason you should have to wrestle the two halves into alignment.

I’m still happy with the progress KH is making in their kits, but it’s disappointing to see the same issues come up again and again, such as no intake trunking and the lack of positive locating points. At the moment, I will rate assembly through Step 29 as 7/10.

John

Not only is the large nose gear door normally closed on the ground, the inner main gear bay doors (E7, E8) are also closed.  Also, the wing LE slats and speed brakes are normally retracted.  The trailing edge flaps/ailerons are normally drooped, so that is correct as it comes in the kit.  I’m working on closing up the nose access panels, gun bay doors, and the ground power connector under the tail on mine.

Edited by Dave Williams

How well do the gear doors fit in the closed position?  The separate leading edge slats are a nice touch for a dynamic in flight display.

What is the plastic like?  I have heard horror stories about their F-86K that doesn't bond properly...

12 hours ago, jgrease said:

My observations mid-build:

- Cockpit - goes together well. Looks good aside from the missing throttle. Step 4 has you install A7 into the instrument panel, but I found that A7 fits better into the IP shroud, A5 which isn’t seen until step 59.
- Almost all the photos I’ve looked at show the large forward gear bay door (G50) closed on the ground, meaning you should leave off G56 in step 9.

- Wings - the tabs for the wings are very tight but provide an excellent join to the fuselage once you snap them in. What I’ve chosen to do is install the wing top pieces C1 and C3 into the fuselage halves prior to joining those halves together. By doing so you get literally no gap.

- Forward gear bay - aside from glue, nothing is holding the bay assembly into the fuselage assembly. I wound up putting some cut sprue between the bottom of the cockpit and the top of the gear bay just to reinforce it. 

- Fuselage - once again, Kitty Hawk provide little, if any, positive joins for the fuselage halves. Why can’t they mold in larger pegs or some kind of stronger locating parts? There’s no reason you should have to wrestle the two halves into alignment.

I’m still happy with the progress KH is making in their kits, but it’s disappointing to see the same issues come up again and again, such as no intake trunking and the lack of positive locating points. At the moment, I will rate assembly through Step 29 as 7/10.

John

hi

I (we ) would like a thread , your explanations are welcome , but pictures would help to understand, especially since that some people haven't the kit yet  

Alain

3 hours ago, alain11 said:

hi

I (we ) would like a thread , your explanations are welcome , but pictures would help to understand, especially since that some people haven't the kit yet  

Alain

If you can point me to an alternative to photobucket, sure thing!

John

4 hours ago, jenshb said:

How well do the gear doors fit in the closed position?  The separate leading edge slats are a nice touch for a dynamic in flight display.

What is the plastic like?  I have heard horror stories about their F-86K that doesn't bond properly...

I have been using Tamiya Extra Thin with no issues.

9 minutes ago, jgrease said:

If you can point me to an alternative to photobucket, sure thing!

John

I started using Imgur last week since I am in the same Photobucket situation. Works like a champ, super easy set up And ease of use. I’m done with PB. 

Cheers

Collin 

Here's the short-shot I had on the lower left fuselage:

V2znzKr.jpg?1

This is the wing to fuselage join from the top:

NDJ38K9.jpg?1

Wing join from the bottom:

QDzgrc8.jpg?1

Assembled cockpit (prior to decals):

RmUWGNE.jpg?1

Yes, the pilot still fits:

pyg8r15.jpg?1

Since these were taken I've joined the fuselage halves. Photos to follow.

John

Edited by jgrease
Photos

1 hour ago, jgrease said:

Here's the short-shot I had on the lower left fuselage:

V2znzKr.jpg?1

John

thank you for sharing your experience ... what is that " hole" , it doesn't look " natural" if I could say........Gee !!!!!! , some putty is needed at the rear end :hmmm:

BTW , I use " servim " , works nice !!

Alain