Kitty Hawk 1/32 Mirage 2000B/C/D & N

Stokey Pete

I'm hoping we can us this thread for corrections and information, much like the F-5 page became. I for one am fairly impressed with this kit - the molding is superior to the Italeri Mirage III and it looks like KH has learned from past issues. The one constant is lack of QC on Kitty Hawk's part - my kit had a short shot on the lower rear fuselage on the right fuselage half. Aside from that, the resin pilot looks incredible and the kit was packaged well. I'm starting mine tonight.

3 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

I tend to agree that it might not be much of an issue.  The shock cones are pretty large, and the kit has an inner wall part for the intakes that curves inward and reduces in diameter.  With the combination, I think the view down the intake is pretty restricted.  I’m not sure full ducting is worth the effort.  My thought is to just paint the fuselage interior, including the engine a dark color and you won’t see anything...

The intakes are an ivory colour. However, if the inner wall is extended with thin plastic card that should work. I don't think the engine front is visible through the inlet, but the off-white trunking curving inwards is.

Still looks to be a very tasty kit. Looking fwd to buying one in the new year.

Tony 

Should be easy enough to make some intakes using  thin rolled plastic sheet. Considering I was able to make very convincing intakes in a Revell 1/32 F-15 using this method, the Mirage should be easy peazy

Edited by eoyguy

Dave, thx for sharing those first impressions.

On the IP, since they market the kit as a C I guess I'll give them a pass on that one. Seems like the designer really got confused with the variants though. Which I have a hard time understanding since it's not exactly an intellectual stretch to compile a variant comparison list based on the info that's readily available on the web. Forgetting the throttle is not exactly a confidence builder either, although it's easy to correct. Really don't get the lack of intake trunking, this must be one of the few industries where designers can afford to be completely out of touch with the user.

All that said I'm pleased to have a Mirage 2000 available and really pleased that the surface detail and shape accuracy seem to be good. I'm waiting to get the kits in my hands but if the latter is true I'll also buy the D.

Cheers,

Marcel

Well, the 2000 is not really well documented whereas along the years multiple small variants appeared. The same can alas be said for most French postwar fighters.

There are not a lot of publications about that plane. Fortunately we have three new recent and modelling-oriented publications but nothing really useful and easily available from France except the very hard to find and already old DTU book. So, I'm not surprised this was unfortunately not that easy for Kittyhawk.

Someone on FB posted a very useful photo of the differences between the fin tips for the rudder, but photobucket will turn it into a fuzzy blob. Anyone have a way to bring it here?

Edited by jgrease

10 minutes ago, jgrease said:

Someone on FB posted a very useful photo of the differences between the fin tips for the rudder, but photobucket will turn it into a fuzzy blob. Anyone have a way to bring it here?

See page one of this thread. :rolleyes:

13 minutes ago, thierry laurent said:

Well, the 2000 is not really well documented whereas along the years multiple small variants appeared. The same can alas be said for most French postwar fighters.

There are not a lot of publications about that plane. Fortunately we have three new recent and modelling-oriented publications but nothing really useful and easily available from France except the very hard to find and already old DTU book. So, I'm not surprised this was unfortunately not that easy for Kittyhawk.

Considering that they included 4 fin options, 2 wingtip antenna options, 2 tail stinger options, 2 aft wing root fairings, a ton of weapons and different pylons, as well as a lot of small details that are spot on, it seems to me that KH did a lot of research.  That makes the omission of the other IP very surprising to me.

5 minutes ago, Kagemusha said:

See page one of this thread. :rolleyes:

If you are talking about the marked up pictures of the C vs. the -5, I don’t think that’s what he’s talking about.  There is a post on the KH FB page where someone shows the 4 fins in the kit, and what versions they are correct for.

57 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

If you are talking about the marked up pictures of the C vs. the -5, I don’t think that’s what he’s talking about.  There is a post on the KH FB page where someone shows the 4 fins in the kit, and what versions they are correct for.

Correct Dave. Thanks.

On 12/19/2019 at 9:00 PM, Dave Williams said:

one here for -5:

http://ffsmc.fr/index.php?/category/92

and for the D:

http://ffsmc.fr/index.php?/category/93