Kitty Hawk 1/32 Mirage 2000B/C/D & N

Stokey Pete

7 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Alaska to Florida in 1 day?   Wow, UPS has gotten a fire under them!   :lol:

As long as it not UPS Surepost. Once UPS drops it at the PO, it sits...and sits... almost like they are competitors or something!:BANGHEAD2:

Its always fun reading  about the suspense and expectation of getting the new, must have kit first, realizing that it will more than likely just be added to the pile!:evil_laugh:

Edited by eoyguy

I have an item sitting at the PO right now that got there yesterday , and won't be delivered here until tomorrow...maybe. The tracking  shows that it  arrived at  the PO yesterday, very early AM, somehow wasn't scanned until today, was "transferred" to the PO 9 hours after it was scanned...by the PO, and is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow. Oh well, its not anything important, just damned frustrating. About as frustrating as tracking a UPS package as it goes right through the town where I live, to the distribution center 2 states over (Oregon), then  one state up (Washington), then  back across Washington to (I guess) the local distribution place, then into Idaho, where its delivered to the town it passed through 3-4 days prior...:clap2:

Got my kit, some quick impressions:

- Two radomes included, one has strips (RDY radar) and one without (RDI radar).  Both seem to be set up for nose pitot probe, but that should only be on the smooth RDI radome.

- Four different fin tops with antenna and probe variations.  One of them includes the LAM antenna for MICA EM

- Choice of wingtip antenna (single antenna and dual)

Only IP in the box is the C IP with the square center radar and analog gauges.  You don’t get the -5 IP with the MFDs

- Optional wing root trailing edge fairings, with and without SPIRALE dispensers

No intake ducting.  Intakes open into big empty fuselage where full engine just sits on the inside of the rear fuselage

- Resin Pilot figure and nice resin exhaust included

- antenna options for spine

No throttle.  Disappointing that companies can make detailed kits and cockpits, but not include a throttle lever.

- Six sprues of weapons/pylons (actually three different sprues, each duplicated once), which take up half the box.  Many not used/applicable for this version.  R550 Magic (live and exercise), MICA with choice of IR or EM noses (sadly, only two MICA bodies in the kit, not four), Super R530F, 68mm rocket pods, PDL-CT, PDL-CTS, and ATILS II targeting pods, 1300L and 2000L drop tanks, AS 30L, AUF-2 bomb rack, SCALP/Apache, and CC630 gun pod.  Pylons for inboard and outboard wing, front and rear underfuselage, and centerline.

The molding looks nice, but the big letdown is the inclusion of only the original C Instrument panel.  Really need the inclusion of the -5 panel to fully unlock the potential of the kit and it makes little sense to not include one additional simple part, especially since there are empty spots on the same sprue (plus I suspect you’ll get correct IP in the two-seater boxing in one of those blank spaces, so why not just leave it in?).  From what you get in the box, your best bet is to use the smooth radome and make a C with outboard Magics, inboard Super R530s or tanks, and centerline tank.

Edit: Found another reference.  SAM Publications did a MDF Scaledown on the Mirage 2000.

Edited by Dave Williams

Thanks for the mini review Dave, much appreciated. I'm much less jacked about the premise of building the kit while being able to look down the intake trunking and see the empty fuse.  Being no 2K SME, I (and most IPMS judges) probably would not be able to tell the difference between a C and the -5 IP. I would definitely notice the lack of intake trunking though.  It doesn't diminish the lack of the other IP, but it just seems careless on the part of the designer (s).

Do they not consult actual modelers before finalizing the details of the kit?

I would have to guess any modeler worth his salt seeing the design of the kit prior to actual production would find the lack of any intake trunking like in the F-5, a bit disconcerting in a brand new tool kit to say the least. 

For those of us non-Facebook users...can you share what is found (pics/descriptions) here?

Regardless....the kit is on my buy list because you can't pass up a M2K. I'm sure by the time I get around to building it (in flight hopefully), there will be a aftermarket intake and other items to fill in the gaps of the original kit.

Cheers

Collin

Thanks for posting your impressions Dave.  Pity to see KH still prioritising a full engine you will never see over some representation of intake trunking.  Surely that wouldn't add much to the price of the kit, which is not going to be cheap anyway...

Jens

Thanks for the mini review Dave. Sounds excellent except for the tragic lack of inlet. The IP just needs old Reheat or current Airscale bits. 

Wonder who'll be first to produce intake trunking?  (And please let it be a direct seller.)

Mmm. Tasty.

Tony 

15 minutes ago, norbert said:

Will look the intake trunking closer also, and I have a 2000 reachable 1 hour drive from here. However, because of the 'mouses' (intake cones) and the maybe half an inch long intakes, the absence of trunking will be hidden in most of the angles of view. 

Cheers

Norbert

I tend to agree that it might not be much of an issue.  The shock cones are pretty large, and the kit has an inner wall part for the intakes that curves inward and reduces in diameter.  With the combination, I think the view down the intake is pretty restricted.  I’m not sure full ducting is worth the effort.  My thought is to just paint the fuselage interior, including the engine a dark color and you won’t see anything.

Looking more at the kit, the level of detail is very good, and it seems mostly correct.  The only really wrong thing that I see KH made the two access panels on the sides of the nose that can be displayed open with identical interiors.  The reference I have shows that the port well should have a large oxygen bottle in there.

I've just been to collect mine from the couriers drop off. 

I've gotta say that on first impressions, I'm more than happy with that. I'm not bothered by hyper accuracy, nor looking to build an award winner. 

It looks like a Mirage 2000, the choice of markings are a bonus, a resin figure, and a resin exhaust....all good value for money in my books.