Ryan

Tesla Cybertruck

First and foremost I am a big Tesla fan and a very small share holder.  So with that said I did not like it when i first saw it and thought oh “_____”.  After digesting it I have come to the conclusion that I think there is a market for this truck.  There are people that want something different and this fits that bill.  It is certainly the most extreme design we have ever seen.  If you saw this on a GM or Ford design stand it would be a concept that would never see the light of day in the real world.  I think Tesla intends to build this although it will have to have rear view mirrors on the outside as I don’t think the law has caught up to camera technology so In the U.S. it will have to make that concession.  Otherwise I think we are going to see something really close to this on the street in a few years.  It is not going to knock out Ford.  But with the millions of trucks sold there is room for a 100,000 of these in the U.S. per year and maybe some more globally.  I suspect there is demand for this.  

As to “rich boy play toy”.  Well there are lots of those around anymore.  I drive Uber as a side job and it is common in the apartments near my house to see Porsches, Lamborghini’s, Maserati’s and Mclarens.  I don’t even count BMW Mercedes Audi as every other car is one of those.  I have lots of rich college students near me and these cars are just sitting outside rain snow ice or whatever.  

One more note, paint if flat black and you have a vehicular version of the original F-117.  

Another aspect that is interesting about this truck is that instead of it being a unit body or body on frame truck it sounds like it is more akin to a stressed skin monocock design.  They are calling it exoskeleton and I thought at first that a truck with 3mm body panels would be insanely heavy but I think what they are getting at is that the structure is in part the trucks outer skin.  I think this is interesting.  I am not a truck buyer so I don’t know that I would be in for one but I would not be in for any other truck on the market either.

Edited by cbk57

11 hours ago, Gazzas said:

Has to be one of the worst looking vehicles I've ever seen.

Arn’t there lot’s of forms of ugly in motor vehicles, the Hummer is not an attractive design, however I like the Civilian Versions looks.  Another example is the Saab 900, I love that car but it is arguably fairly ugly and the same for certain Citroen models.  I would not purchase the Cybertruck personally but I think it is going to ketch on with a significant number of people.  From what I can gather so far it is more popular than i thought it might be.  It is certainly the most radicle thing we have seen come out in a long time.  This is going to be a love it or hate it design and there won’t be much in between.  One quote I saw referring to the Cybertruck was as follows: ”‘this is the ugliest thing I ever had to have”.

In one regard it is already a huge success, it looks like everyone on the planet is discussing whether it is the ugliest thing they have ever seen.  So you are right it is probably the ugliest thing you have ever seen.  I don’t think it is meant to be pretty.

One electric vehicle that does have me intrigued is the upcoming Ford Mustang Mach-E.  The high end version will do 0-60 in ~3 seconds.  That will smoke most Porsches.  Not bad for a quasi-SUV. 

dims?crop=1920%252C1097%252C0%252C0%26qu

Supposedly the flat facets of the truck are because the side panels are too hard to bend. Don't know, but would definitely like to see it close up.