KH T-6/Harvard Kicked Up A Notch: Apr 14/20: Finished!

chuck540z3

Thank you everyone!  I realize that this new fuel cap detail is tiny and won't be noticed by most, but hopefully the sum of all the other small details will "Kick this Harvard Up a Notch" as planned.

41 minutes ago, williamj said:

Brilliant Chuck...been dropping buy to check..Man! you really have gotten into this build (details and time researching.)

Thanks William.  One of the reasons I'm building this particular model is due to your "Yellow Wings" series you did a few years ago.  As I was putting together another fighter of some kind, I was super impressed with the simplicity and beauty of your trainers and thought, "I should build a yellow trainer one day".    Thanks to you I finally am and I hope to come close to your excellent work on those aircraft.

Cheers,

Chuck

March 13/20

Well I don't know what it's like where you live, but here in Calgary the C-Virus hysteria is at a peak.  Businesses are closed and we are told to stay home and hide under our beds until further notice.  :huh:   Further, the weather has turned cold again, so what's a guy to do?  How about Model?!  With every sport shut down, I can't think of a better hobby when you're stuck indoors, can you?

First Paint, which is my favorite part of modeling.  A first coat of paint will tell you how well you assembled and glued the plastic together, which can sometimes be disappointing.  That's why I go to the effort of using a dark wash during assembly, which reveals flaws before they are painted and are easier to fix.  Luckily, I found only a couple of new ones, which I have already repaired.

Before painting, it was time to glue in the extensive Eduard PE brass rear flaps, which I had left off to avoid damaging the delicate detail within.  The fit is excellent, but I still had to sand off some of the brass at the rear to ensure a clean rear edge.

8gNvHZ.jpg

If you build this kit, I highly recommend the Eduard "BIG Ed" kit, which has lots of detail missing on the kit parts.

EzP3Rp.jpg

I usually use Tamiya Gloss Black lacquer as a first coat rather than a true primer, but for this yellow bird I'm using Gloss White instead (TS-26 Pure White from a rattle can).  This should make painting the yellow easier and with less paint.  Since it's just an undercoat, I have sprayed it on relatively thin to retain detail, hence the blotchy appearance.  One great thing about this model is that both the wheel wells and flaps are painted the same yellow as the rest of the aircraft, which makes painting so much easier.  That probably wasn't the original paint scheme, but it is now, which is all that matters.

pGq8Wx.jpg

One of the flaws found after paint are the ridges along the rear of the wing, which are due to sink marks around the flap detail underneath.  These were totally invisible before, but thankfully easy to sand off and remove.

krGBj5.jpg

I will let this paint dry for two full days, then lightly sand off crap and other imperfections, followed by 2 coats of yellow, which will be Tamiya TS-34 Camel Yellow, which is the perfect shade of yellow with an orange tinge found on these trainers.  The "Camel" it turns out, is the same yellow as found on Camel cigarette packages.  Who knew!?

qjUDmz.jpg

Cheers- and wash your hands!

Chuck

Edited by chuck540z3

3 minutes ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Looks great, Chuck! If you're looking for a white undercoat that doubles as an excellent primer, Tamiya's Fine White Surface Primer is the way to go. It's so good, that I use it as both primer and top coat on my airliner builds.

Kev

I second that Chuck!! 

Thanks Guys!

1 hour ago, CZPetrP said:

Hi Chuck,

The landing flaps are great. Is it glued or soldered?

Thank you.

Petr

Hi Petr, thanks.

Everything is glued together with extra thin CA glue.  With practice and CA glue Debonder, everything comes together without making a mess.

Cheers,

Chuck

20 minutes ago, chuck540z3 said:

Thanks Guys!

Hi Petr, thanks.

Everything is glued together with extra thin CA glue.  With practice and CA glue Debonder, everything comes together without making a mess.

Cheers,

Chuck

Thanks Chuck, great advice, something I have always struggled with!