KH T-6/Harvard Kicked Up A Notch: Apr 14/20: Finished!

chuck540z3

DONE!!  The ending of every build is super challenging, because that's when you attach all the little bits and complicated features that you left off due to fear of damage.  And then you stick them all on, after paint, which makes things even more complicated and full of risk.  Anyway, I will do a full write-up in the next day or two, but right now I have 4 teaser pics to show off.  I've decided that this model is going to a future model contest after all!

7iWawm.jpg

I think I nailed the real look of the exhaust and heater pipe.  Excuse the dust, although the walkway is supposed to be a bit dirty.

Ji2kRs.jpg

The rear flaps were a biatch to attach cleanly with no glue mess, but I managed to do it.

QluSJO.jpg

And the antenna wire fought me every step of the way.  No wonder I don't build bi-planes with rigging.  Thankfully the wire on the real deal looks just like this:  Fairly tight, but also a bit wobbly.

VlMsUF.jpg

Later boys!  I will take proper pics of every angle in a day or two.

Cheers,

Chuck

Edited by chuck540z3

2 hours ago, chuck540z3 said:

I've decided that this model is going to a future model contest after all!

NO Chuck , you'll only embarass yourself !!

nqCyIeX.jpg?1

... yeah right 

sYTmL0T.jpg?1

Ready For Inspection Thread is up boys, so you can see many more pics here:

1/32 Kitty Hawk T-6/Harvard "Kicked Up A Notch"

Now a few final tips.  The Eduard landing flaps were a ton of work, but when I see them on my model I'm pretty happy with them.  A key to final installation is to make sure you have a "Hold 'n Fold" or similar contraption to bend all of the hinges exactly the same or you will have a mess.  The hinges were a bit hard to bend which is terrific, because that makes them strong as well.

zkDtPi.jpg

For the antenna wire, I used tiny wire from the belts often found in old computers, which is super thin and also super strong.

sw5Not.jpg

I added a red tube to the top behind the engine cowling and a steel colored dip-stick kind of contraption to the bottom as per references.  I have no idea what they are used for.

oghpIX.jpg

There is a long tube that extends under the engine, which I replicated with a steel rod.  For the heavily modified exhaust pipe I assembled earlier, I painted it with Alclad Steel and Stainless Steel on a black lacquer base, followed by Tamiya pastels in rust.  The key to applying the pastels is to use water on a micro-brush and smear it around until you like what you see after it has dried.

FmiDDB.jpg

x0V05H.jpg

DW3IHf.jpg

That's it for now boys.  See you over on the RFI Forum if you have any questions.

Cheers,

Chuck

Edited by chuck540z3