KH T-6/Harvard Kicked Up A Notch: Apr 14/20: Finished!

chuck540z3

Thanks again everyone!

34 minutes ago, TwoHands said:

Yellow aircraft in general are very hard to model and harder to decal. You have done a tremendous job with this plane! Are you going to do anything to restore rivet detail on the markings?

Very good question, which I've already been working on.  My models typically take only 2 coats of paint, like my Spitfire and Eagle in my signature below, so about 95% of the detail I have before paint can still be seen.  After spraying a white undercoat on this model, I was initially concerned and then later almost devastated at how many coats of paint I needed to cover, because much of the detail was being filled with paint.  After about 5 coats I set the model aside and went away for a few days, complaining to a few modeling friends that I might have screwed up the model by using the wrong paint.  Thankfully, upon my return and despite the fact that I was using fast drying lacquer, much of the detail came back as the paint dried and shrunk into the panel line and rivet recesses, leaving about 80% of the detail I had before.  I then carefully re-punched a few rivets, re-scribed a few panel lines and just about all of the large fastener detail was restored with my Mega Tool, bringing another 10% back, for a total of maybe 90%.

Two more things- and I fully admit I'm rationalizing because there's no turning back.  Many of the panel lines that you can't see very well anymore, you can't see on the real deal unless you get up close.  This is especially true of the fine detail above the wheel wells at the top.  Many panel lines I scribed here can only be seen at 3 feet or less on the real aircraft, which is a bit over an inch away at 1/32 scale.  I can still see them if I look for them, so I'm happy enough with that.

The other thing that hides detail is the bright yellow that is so hard to photograph, unless you get up real close.  For example, from this shot it looks like much of the detail is almost gone.

19djQO.jpg

It starts to show up a little closer...

Lhf08M.jpg

Zooming in on it more (which often reveals flaws), shows that most of the detail is still intact.

OGVdif.jpg

Aex53c.jpg

Cheers,

Chuck