Why we don’t get more LSP’s

cbk57

8 hours ago, ringleheim said:

One of the mark interesting comments he made was at the end.  He suggested in the future, modeling needs to get away from historical subject matter like WWII aircraft and tanks, and more into IP or intellectual property.  

I don't think they said modeling has to change but that it will change and move away from WWII.  I can see an argument for that supported by what Bandai is selling and not doing any WWII.

We don't have to change what we are building, I am not going to build Gundam or Rice Harvesters.  However, I can see their point that other people in other markets may not see it that way.  The Japanese market is much more massive and a much bigger part of the modeling world now than we are.  So it is important to respect and have some insight into what is driving the modeling world.   

The only thing "driving the modeling world" is demand. As long as there is a market for LSP models, LSP models will continue to be made. I continue to believe that looking at BanDai Gundam sales is a yardstick for nothing other than BanDai Gundam sales. Look at how many people believe the "gluten-free" schtick and buy all kinds of useless "gluten-free" rubbish. That "level of sales" does not ring the death knell of... I don't know... pizza or steaks. People who want steaks will continue to get their steaks. 

Radu

Edited by Radub

I've just been to the NEC Birmingham for the National Model Railway Exhibition yesterday which I would say is about 2/3 the size of Telford.

I would say that the market is very much hotter than aircraft modelling and the smaller traders doing niche stuff doing well as well. A lot more younger members and families there and scrums around the sellers.

The added bonus for this hobby is that we have a lot of preserved railways and that generates interest,especially amongst the young. They had a full size electric railcar from 1903 in the centre of the hall. Also 'Squires' were there too the tool people who have a big stand at Telford but here it was twice the size and doing model railway kits and accessories.

Graham

Edited by GrahamF
Typo plus info