Vickers Wellington (Brooklands)

mozart

I've been meaning to post these pictures for a while, and finally got round to it!  I visited the aviation museum at Brooklands in the summer, fantastic place which includes vintage cars, racing cars, buses, motorcycles etc as well, but pride of place (besides Concorde!) is their Welllington.  This gives the background:

XZjQZp.png

These are iPhone pictures taken in fairly poor light, I've tried to clean them up as much as possible:

And here she is in all her glory:

QFDmlz.jpg

VOV4O3.jpg

CHv5aW.jpg

W7RTrK.jpg

pJsTpC.jpg

xnDPJN.jpg

FyvtmQ.jpg

3St8OQ.jpg

J2dbmX.jpg

DoOIdU.jpg

dkKCcV.jpg

iaYDwi.jpg

khZ5dI.jpg

280igz.jpg

IQZDnZ.jpg

qmiIuI.jpg

izaFfN.jpg

5L8wED.jpg

EbTWIr.jpg

nQ4E8Y.jpg

4Q4OYT.jpg

p1ReW8.jpg

840u92.jpg

GYZrHD.jpg

UWUYxw.jpg

OnuiDi.jpg

Vl2fDA.jpg

m0ZdTL.jpg

XECeJV.jpg

WbUVec.jpg

hNRmVe.jpg

HOeBmy.jpg

I don't think for one second that we'll ever have a Wellington in our scale, but I know there are some Wimpey enthusiasts on site so thought they may be interested - 1/48th build?

Edited by mozart

Well worth visiting chaps.  A few other notables from my camera that caught my eye:

OutmtI.jpg

iRIbf4.jpg

Z5kNN6.jpg

QFXYI2.jpg

DdIqQQ.jpg

b6xcvk.jpg

It4GpC.jpg

dslLXp.jpg

and how to make a wooden prop:

1qHM9E.jpg

TRCS0v.jpg

YI7Kqp.jpg

0QKlP9.jpg

and if you're an old fart they take pity on you and let you sit in a Harrier cockpit!

63zEDk.jpg

Edited by mozart

Richard, I assumed that was a flare chute but I could be wrong. I was able to hold my phone inside the geodetic structure to get some internal shots, the “chute” appears to be next to (again what I assume) is the Elsan! Draw your own conclusions. :hmmm:

Wonderful aircraft, legendary recovery and epic restoration.

My wife and I once made a boat trip on Loch Ness, the water is very stange, black and very choppy that day.

You really thought something was lurking beneath the waves. While the other tourists were looking for Nessie

I asked the captain about the Wellington. He was very puzzled as people are only interested in the "monster".

He happend to be a diver during the recovery and had some very nice stories to tell. I was glued to his lips you might

say.:D

Great trip that was. Although I didn't have time to look around for Nessie.

Cees

Edited by Cees Broere

42 minutes ago, monthebiff said:

Very nice pictures of probably my favourite British bomber Max, thank you for sharing. Now if only we had one in 32nd scale . ...  

Regards. Andy 

The Wellington was such an important aircraft Andy wasn’t it, initially as the most effective bomber with the Stirling until the Lancaster and Halifax came on stream, then latterly and crucially at Operational Training Units where the various trades that made up a bomber crew were brought together and started working as a team. Bit of an unsung hero really. 

6 minutes ago, Shoggz said:

Thanks for posting Max.

Gosh, it has certainly come on since my Dad and I went to see it 15 or so years ago.. it was just a collection of geodetic shapes back then!

And the bonus Rich is that there’s the forward half of a Wellington Fuselage in the new hall that you can walk through, complete with cockpit, IP etc., nav’s position and w/op’s too. They are all protected (understandably) by perspex so photography is difficult but fascinating to see nonetheless. 

Indeed Alex. I had a friend, now sadly deceased, who was a rear gunner. One of his biggest fears he told me was going through the fuselage to his turret, apparently the walkway was quite narrow and he feared losing his balance and putting his foot through the fabric. Little bit of a line shoot I suspect on Dennis’ behalf but food for thought nonetheless.