A few Pics from Aviation Nation 2019

I attended the now bi-annual “Aviation Nation” air show at Nellis AFB this past weekend and as usual, took some pics.  Unlike past years, however, I didn’t take my big camera and long telephoto lens, because it’s such a pain to lug around due to its bulk and weight.  This year I brought my new Nikon Z-7 mirrorless camera with a very pedestrian 24-70mm zoom lens, hoping that the high resolution of 46 MP would allow me to crop each photo and still have a decent pic of the aircraft.  Although not as good as what a good prime telephoto lens would take, they turned out pretty good.  Here’s an example of an F-35 and F-86 flying together.  Kind of hard to see at only 70 mm….

NLBdyB.jpg

Cropped using only about 10% of the image, it’s not bad…..

NOySBP.jpg

So with that introduction (and excuse), here’s some more, all cropped from much larger images.

Nxj3wY.jpg

T-28

XXbk54.jpg

This beautiful P-51D did a spectacular demonstration, but I was too busy with my camera taking pics of static displays.  If you ever wanted to build a super clean Mustang, this would be a great subject.

Z9WFgZ.jpg

C-17 Globemaster III and KC-135 Stratotanker

M3n4qp.jpg

F-22

yMrPNR.jpg

The best part of this show is the so-called Combined Arms Demo, which had 4 F-16 Aggressors, 2 F-15E’s, 2 F-35’s and 2 A-10C’s in the air at once, buzzing all over the place with high speed passes.

RitMQL.jpg

XXfbg9.jpg

QJxxnV.jpg

With all sorts of ground explosions, they created some very nice smoke rings for the F-35 to fly through.

tBt7u2.jpg

t5ajyx.jpg

FVTzK3.jpg

gqTtbk.jpg

CZXq1a.jpg

oZvFbw.jpg

ltA5NP.jpg

One very interesting Viper Aggressor is painted in a similar black and red scheme to the Navy F-5N I just completed.  In this case, the finish is flat black and not gloss black.

NsH6Ds.jpg

Another Viper in a digital camo scheme I’ve never seen before.  I might need to build this one someday.

cKKnsM.jpg

J4Y5pB.jpg

This F-15A was painted in this wild scheme after the October 1, 2017 massacre.  I’m not sure it can still fly, but it appeared to be operational when viewed close up.

ww5TMa.jpg

Hope you enjoyed the pics!

Cheers,

Chuck

Edited by chuck540z3

• 3 weeks later...