Color post war images of german airfields

Wow, can you imagine if the dollar amount worth, if even a small portion of that stuff could have had their value forecast?  Of course, war time business and all no one thought like that, but from a modern perspective, its quite the eye opener............and a bit sad from an aviation buff perspective. 

17 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

Wow, can you imagine if the dollar amount worth, if even a small portion of that stuff could have had their value forecast?  Of course, war time business and all no one thought like that, but from a modern perspective, its quite the eye opener............and a bit sad from an aviation buff perspective. 

Well, that's  saying  it quite another way indeed.........

I think it's wrong to say that no one thought ahead, I mean if they didn't, there wouldn't have been as much preserved in museums around the world as there has been. People always lament about how little survived, but I think it's remarkable we have as much as we currently do.

On 11/18/2019 at 5:34 PM, Jennings Heilig said:

If only they had known...

My first flight instructor was retired USAF - remarkable career, P-51s at the tail end of WWII, Edwards test pilot including XB-70, two tours in Vietnam, finished up testing the F-15. He told me that back in the mid 50s he had a chance to buy surplus P-51s for $1500. His wife wouldn't let him. Bummer . . .

On 11/22/2019 at 12:16 AM, b757captain said:

My first flight instructor was retired USAF - remarkable career, P-51s at the tail end of WWII, Edwards test pilot including XB-70, two tours in Vietnam, finished up testing the F-15. He told me that back in the mid 50s he had a chance to buy surplus P-51s for $1500. His wife wouldn't let him. Bummer . . .

Post war in Australia, many farmers bought surplus aircraft for the engines, the fittings, wheels and tires along with any fuel that was left in the tanks. I believe the ANAM's Kittyhawk was bought for a few hundred dollars by a farmer who eventually donated it to the museum in the 60's.