the black whistling death F4u-5N

alain11

Hi gents

if I am right , "the whistling death " was the Corsair nickname during the WWII, I guess this remained the same during the Korean war 

here is my last build ... it was in my wish list for a loooong time , as well as the U7 , the French U 7 is already done , now here is the U5 version ..... thank you Karl to make it happen :thumbsup: ( thank you mate)

the conversion is based upon the Trumpter F4u_4 , no other option :( , this kit has its own quality , and its flaws . I think , that one of the main flaw , is the radiator shape : if you take a look , and compare to the real thing , or to the Tamiya kit , it looks obvious the they lack of volume , the kit parts are too "flat" . I think it's worth it to fix them . I tried to do it....... but the final result would need " surgeries " , I only added a layer of putty to bring them more volume , but that was not enough ,the problem , is " deeper" , the overall area should be reworked ( hope I have been clear :hmmm:)maybe I should be more daring :whistle:

but it doesn't matter , I still bring my own touch ,: for "sharper " details , I've improved the cockpit tube : IP ,consoles , side walls , seat , breakers , gun sight etc...... I added some "plumbings " in the wheel well , corrected the front gear doors shape ,engraved new cannon bay hatches ,  plus miscellaneous stuffs here and there  

black is black !!!??? not really , everybody has his recipe , I groped a while , and finally did it simple : a black mat coat first ( what else ??) , them I sprayed on the panel lines , and on the "exposed" areas , a layer of "Nato black" which is a grey / green ... black :mental:. and finally , to "light up " some panels , I sprayed some satin black  ,which is a " deeper" black than the previous mat black ......no wash , no varnish , only a bit of dry pastel pigment on the panels lines , here and there 

the red markings are painted  of course ........ it was a "hard way " , with sometime a lack of motivation but I think it's okay , even if things could be better ... mais c'est la vie !!!!!!!!!!!

I hope I been understood , now as I usually say ; enjoy .........or not 

I want to warmly thank Nick for his valuable help .. thank you mate ;)

cheers 

Alain

some in progress pictures 

img_0523.jpg

img_0524.jpg

img_0522.jpg

img_0527.jpg

img_0526.jpg

img_0525.jpg

img_0528.jpg