New Trumpeter 1/24 Ju87 B-2

nmayhew

Just because I'm curious, where does the Revell kit stack up against the trumpy  1/32? Most are at least somewhat familiar with trumpys  A,B and sometimes C team approach to model production, and as noted, their D/G variant had some dimensional errors. I get you are on about the 1/24th kit, but I am curious.

At first read it seems trumpy just up scaled their 1/32 kit, much as they did their 109s. While "it will look like a _____ is OK for some, I appreciate that that is not enough for others. I like to read the finer bits regarding kits just so I can makes a better informed choice.

Also, let's knock off the sniping at each other.

1 hour ago, LSP_Mike said:

Just because I'm curious, where does the Revell kit stack up against the trumpy  1/32? Most are at least somewhat familiar with trumpys  A,B and sometimes C team approach to model production, and as noted, their D/G variant had some dimensional errors. I get you are on about the 1/24th kit, but I am curious.

At first read it seems trumpy just up scaled their 1/32 kit, much as they did their 109s. While "it will look like a _____ is OK for some, I appreciate that that is not enough for others. I like to read the finer bits regarding kits just so I can makes a better informed choice.

Also, let's knock off the sniping at each other.

From what I’ve heard, the Revell kit is dimensionally accurate, but like a lot of their 60s vintage big scale kits, not that many parts, raised rivets, and simplified details including the engine.  As far as level of detail goes, the Trumpeter kit is better.  Personally, I’d do the Trumpeter kit, with the Brian Fawcett correction parts, and bomb and cradle swapped out from their D kit over the old Revell kit, but it’s an expensive way to go.

This looks exactly like the 1/32 Stuka Trumpeter kit, I built it last year. Overall, it is a nice kit, but I couldn't live with the flaws. I used the Fawcett nose and spats, along with the Dahne prop assembly. I also used the bomb clutch and tail wheel from the 21st Century kit. And I got a resin SC250 because the bomb in the kit is wrong. With all my corrections, I think it looks pretty close.

The 21st looks a bit toyish to me, not overly complicated to build. I didn't build it, just bought it for the decals and other bits I robbed. It lacks a lot of detail, but I suppose could be added if you wanted to put the work in. 

On 11/18/2019 at 12:14 PM, Jennings Heilig said:

Perhaps we need a new forum for the “It looks close enough for me” folks. 

It would be easier to create one for the handful of people who think they are experts about everything and love to argue over trivial detail that has little impact on the overall look of a finished kit.

I had a feeling this new B-2 would just scale up all the issues of the 1/32 kit. A shame and very lazy on Trumpeter's part I think. I even thought about robbing parts from my Airfix kit to put the Trumpy kit right, but heck, I may as well build the Airfix one instead. It's still a good kit. 

Out of my memory the Revell kit has a problem that is quite unfortunately common in Stuka kits: a rear fuselage length issue. I guess this common syndrom is probably coming from various inaccurate sets of plans. This is weird as Revell had the most reliable source close to them: the only preserved full B mark! The nose is far from being fully accurate either. However, it looks like a Stuka! 

If I recall what I read years ago, the Revell kit fuselage from the rear cockpit to the tailplane is too short? And possibly the tailplane a little undersized but I am not sure on that one. 

Apparently, we need a good article doing a deep dive on the Stuka kits, assuming we find a good set of dimensions/drawings! 

11 minutes ago, LSP_Ray said:

If I recall what I read years ago, the Revell kit fuselage from the rear cockpit to the tailplane is too short? And possibly the tailplane a little undersized but I am not sure on that one. 

Apparently, we need a good article doing a deep dive on the Stuka kits, assuming we find a good set of dimensions/drawings! 

There is one undergoing restauration and it could be measured for us picky modelers.

Alain