New Trumpeter 1/24 Ju87 B-2

nmayhew

I saw this on The Modelling News here - apologies if this is not indeed 'news'

We know their 1/32 is very good in some places, and fails frustratingly in others - specifically the bottom of the spats being the wrong shape, the bomb cradle (too woeful for words), but perhaps most importantly the nose looked shrunk and withered, as if it had forgot to take its vitamins when growing up

Now whilst there is (was?) a correction in 1/32 for the spats and nose from FMP (Fawcett Model Patterns I think it stands for? I reviewed it in another life and thought it wasn't all that, the shapes were pretty good), I can't see anyone making a new nose for this, so what you see is what you are going to get unless you are a master scratchbuilder

I am staring at this shot below trying to convince myself that they haven't just upscaled their 1/32 kit, but I think that is indeed what they have done.

Opinions?

5dba9153109d1.jpg

Trumpy link here

Just build it and have fun with it!

It looks like a Ju-87 to me too, I have the 1/32 kit and that will be built straight from the box, I don't normally get a single comment from the visiting public when it goes on display at the shows with regard to shapes and rivets anyway!!

The question I always get asked is "can I make it straight from the box and make it look like that?"

I tell them about any issues that have been picked up about a kit and normally just get a shrug of the shoulders and then they ask where they can buy it.

Conversely, if it's been radically played with they seem very disappointed and sometimes tend not to buy it.  

Life's too short for me now, I like to promote the hobby the best way I can and leave it to others to make their decisions with that info.

It's all about fun!

5 minutes ago, Alain Gadbois said:

No one doubts the parts put together will look like a Ju 87, however the poster is hoping for a bit more precise info! 

Agreed,

I think what Nick is looking for is if someone has the kit, are the spats and nose misshapen in the 1/24th kit like they are in the 32nd.   Granted it will look like a Stuka even if they are misshapen, but to be honest the shape of the Trumpeter nose is off but the shape of the spats on the 32nd version does really bother me. 

1 hour ago, Doctorgaz said:

I think if you put it together, it 's gonna look like Ju-87

I'm not disputing that...

18 minutes ago, Royboy said:

Just build it and have fun with it!

It looks like a Ju-87 to me too, I have the 1/32 kit and that will be built straight from the box, I don't normally get a single comment from the visiting public when it goes on display at the shows with regard to shapes and rivets anyway!!

The question I always get asked is "can I make it straight from the box and make it look like that?"

I tell them about any issues that have been picked up about a kit and normally just get a shrug of the shoulders and then they ask where they can buy it.

Conversely, if it's been radically played with they seem very disappointed and sometimes tend not to buy it.  

Life's too short for me now, I like to promote the hobby the best way I can and leave it to others to make their decisions with that info.

It's all about fun!

People derive 'fun' from different things

No one way is better than another, but I would have thought from my post and references to inaccuracies in the 1/32, that a 'go build it' is not really what I'm looking for.

I'm not sure who comes to see your models - shop, show, I'm not sure - but that view couldn't be farther from where I am at with my modelling.

They are not wrong, but it's just not my way (if it was, I'd still be building 1/72).

17 minutes ago, Alain Gadbois said:

No one doubts the parts put together will look like a Ju 87, however the poster is hoping for a bit more precise info! 

10 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

Agreed,

I think what Nick is looking for is if someone has the kit, are the spats and nose misshapen in the 1/24th kit like they are in the 32nd.   Granted it will look like a Stuka even if they are misshapen, but to be honest the shape of the Trumpeter nose is off but the shape of the spats on the 32nd version does really bother me. 

yes, guys!

11 minutes ago, GrahamF said:

I never understood why they did a 1:24 Stuka when the Airfix one was so good, It's like they just copied the Airfix 1:24 range but decided to do it bad badly.

Graham

Hey Graham,

I built that when I was like 7 (and it was beyond me I think at the time); is it really that good?

I'm not into huge scratch / restoration projects, but I would be interested to know more if you are 'intimate' ;) with the kit?

Cheers

Nick (who should be decorating right now - paint is literally drying on the brush :doh:)

1 hour ago, GrahamF said:

Yes the Airfix 1:24 Stuka was superb, right up there with modern day kits, a real work of art with regards detail.

Graham

It was my understanding, also, the Airfix was one of the last if not the last of the original 1/24th kits and was the best of the lot. That was before they went back and did an updated Spit and Stang, but I think the Stuka is still even better than those re-works.I haven't built one yet, but I have one and was impressed by the sprues.

2 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Perhaps we need a new forum for the “It looks close enough for me” folks. 

I'm hoping it's the fact the condescending sarcastic comment isn't getting past my BS filter or i'm might have to bite my tongue a little more. I sometimes wonder if this forum isn't just an holier than thou ego pusher forum. Do you enjoy pushing peoples buttons JH?

Sorry to OP for going off topic.

Edited by AlanG