Sign in to follow this  
Jennings Heilig

FES lives....

It is amazing how many folks can't grasp reality. Just look at all the folks that think the moon landings were a hoax, or that Japanese products are radioactive, or that sticky slats are airworthy, or the millions of other utterly ridiculous ideas that have always been perpetuated every single day. 

As the saying goes, "They walk among us..."

D

THAT kind of thing is my #1 problem with the internet.....

Neil deGrasse Tyson said it best (paraphrasing here).....something to the effect of: "it's not that there are any more (or less) of these kind of people believing in preposterous ideas in today's modern world, it's that the internet has made it possible for all of them to find each other now."

Meaning to me, there have always been whack jobs believing in idiotic ideas, but now there is a way for them to connect with each other, when prior to the internet, they were isolated in their dissolution.

2 minutes ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Yep, and you can say the same about whacked out political views as well.  

THAT i'll buy for sure...........

Well we all know not to go there, but the idea does carry across many of lifes different arenas, and unfortunately people now a days seem to somehow falsely believe that science, facts and sound evidence are all debatable. 

I genuinely (and literally) hear myself muttering to myself on a daily basis in every type of thing I do, "were all doomed.....should just leave this world behind" - to quote Dary from Letterkenny

I used to read an average of one science fiction novel every day and still made it through High School and two Universities. Now we have the internet where everything that is written down or portrayed on video is absolutely true. I don't need as much science fiction anymore.

Tnarg

28 minutes ago, scvrobeson said:

It's so weird that all of the other stars are round, but the Earth just happened to be flat.  What crazy design.

Matt 

We are special, we get the thin crust pizza version of a planet 

We must, and should, debate politics or scientific theories for the health of our democracies. But when persons promulgate obvious non-evidenced based theories ignoring established facts scientific or otherwise, what does one do? Rhetorical question for the times we live in. 

5 hours ago, scvrobeson said:

It's so weird that all of the other stars are round, but the Earth just happened to be flat.  What crazy design.

Matt 

The planets and our moon too - what a ****-up!

Richard