Pauke! Pauke! – NIGHTFIGHTER! Me 262 B-1a/U1 Red 12

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Bernd, I love the tonal variation of the 82 green on the wings, very nice ! I also like the motteling overspray of the black on the port engine.

Lovely work !

How did you go with the wing to fuselage fit ? I'm finding mine to be really difficult . I think my cockpit parts were slightly out of alingment which threw out the fuselage bulkheads which in turn messed with the wing to fuselage fit.  Having said that, I pulled out the A1a version of the kit from my stash only to find similar issues with the wing to fuselage fit. I'll get it there in the end but in the meantime I've been busy sanding chopping and cutting doing test fit after test fit.

cheers,

Pete.

2 hours ago, PeterOlsen said:

Hi Bernd, I love the tonal variation of the 82 green on the wings, very nice ! I also like the motteling overspray of the black on the port engine.

Lovely work !

How did you go with the wing to fuselage fit ? I'm finding mine to be really difficult . I think my cockpit parts were slightly out of alingment which threw out the fuselage bulkheads which in turn messed with the wing to fuselage fit.  Having said that, I pulled out the A1a version of the kit from my stash only to find similar issues with the wing to fuselage fit. I'll get it there in the end but in the meantime I've been busy sanding chopping and cutting doing test fit after test fit.

cheers,

Pete.

Pete,

I made the same experiences!! :frantic::help: Worst kit in a long time, although it looks nice now. Actually, I had to buy a spare kit! :BANGHEAD2: Fuselage assembly was no problem, although I experiened tension cracks in the forward cockpit deck underneath the windshield after 1 week of the assembly. I solved this issue with Tamiya extra thin cement. So fit is a problem that results in tensions. Careful dry fitting is required. The plastic of the kit seems mediocre, too.

Wing assembly. Even worse although I should have dry fitted the engine nacelles before assembly, because ... I built the engines according the instructions. When I tried to test fit them to the wings I realized that the rear fairings were switched. :BANGHEAD2:  To assemble the wings I glued the wheel bays into the wing using clamps to close the gaps between side walls and upper wing ceiling. Once dry I tried to test fit the wings to the fuselage realising that the upper wing root now has an undulating surface destroying the fit. :BANGHEAD2: At that time I decided to buy a second kit and found one on amazon für 25 EUR :bow:. I built engines and wings again. When dry fitting them again I also had a bad wingroot fit. I had to glue the rear portion of the wing to the lower fuselage up to the landing flaps. Let dry a day. Then I had to bent and force the forward wing joints to meet the lower forward fuselage. Lots of tensions. I wait to see any new cracks one day. Wing root on the upper wing required epoxy putty, re-scribing and I had to rebuild the small wing root fairings over the landing flaps on both sides which I broke off several times while handling the model :BANGHEAD2: I also chopped the main bulkhead K189 in the fuselage but this is only a partial remedy.

May the force be with you :ph34r:

I decided not to bother you fellow modelers with these stories but now it´s public :rolleyes:

Edited by 109

As has been said Bernd, it's looking really good.

With regard to stressing the plastic, you could try warming it with a hairdryer to relax the tension in the plastic.

Although that's better done before applying any paint or decals.

27 minutes ago, Chek said:

As has been said Bernd, it's looking really good.

With regard to stressing the plastic, you could try warming it with a hairdryer to relax the tension in the plastic.

Although that's better done before applying any paint or decals.

Right. I was surprised to see cracks in the cockpit sill. First time I had this problem. I had to sand the aerea abit which of course reduced the thickness ... next time I will apply some sheet to strenghen such areas. Thanks!

29 minutes ago, VintageEagle said:

That’s the best looking Me 262 nightfighter I have seen so far. Outstanding paint work. How did you do the scratches and the different shades of green on the upper wings? They look very realistic.

Scuffs can be done with a scalpel, wooden sticks, curled aluminumfoil etc. I airbrushed different green shades of solvent based arcrylic resin paints and after drying sprayed a coat of hairspray and let that stay for 30 secs. Then rinsed with clear water. The alcs. and solvents in the hairspray attacks the paintjob. Paints I used were Tamiya acrylics, ZERO Paints and Weinert from Germany. Have to test GUNZE solvent based paints. You have to do tests to predicts the outcome as it can be from both extremes (paint work is destroyed and can be rubbed-off or not affected at all). You want something inbetween. Tamiya olive drab XF-62 is a great test: apply it to some sheet styrene, let dry an hour and then coat it with HS, rinse after a half minute. See the magic. You can´t use standard decals with this technique because of the clear film protecting the underlying paintwork.

Hi Bernd, thanks for your reply, its comforting to know I'm not alone in my "fit frustration" on this build. Your experience sounds like an absolute nightmare but you've done a fantastic job pulling yours all together. Nicely done !

I had wondered about the engine fit  but I haven't even started on them after all the other madness. From what your saying it seems like I shold do a bit of a dry fit run with the engines before attaching the wings.

Looks like your on the home stretch now and you've got a real winner on your hands there .

Cheers,

Pete.