Pauke! Pauke! – NIGHTFIGHTER! Me 262 B-1a/U1 Red 12

Hi all,

has anyone some detail info on how the 2-part-canopy was hinged on the real thning? Also where there retaining cables to secure the canopy in the open position? I also look for infos on the radio antenna wires ... any input is highly appreciated! :-)

TIA

Bernd.

Guest Vincent

the canopies are retained by a MTT classical steel cable and spring assembly, like this :

detail_me262b_06.jpg

Pilot position :

detail_me262b_29.jpg

The canopies are hinged as follows. Front canopy has one pin into the windshield, the other pin is retained by the jettisonable middle assembly, like this :

RhXsYUP.jpg

The second canopy has its front pin retained by the middle assembly pictured above and the rear pin is inserted into a hole at the base of the rear fairing

Edited by Vincent

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,

here are some notes on my "Physico-chemical-weathering" process. The 262, Junkers D.1 are test beds for this technique. Some of you asked for more details, so here they come. I hope you will give it a try and please let us know what you achieved!

Chemical stage 1: Base coat, e.g. dark green from Tamiya. Use colors with acrylic resins like Tamiya and Zero Paint.
Make tests of the described procedure prior to paint your model!

fOMJFuD.jpg

Chemical stage 2: Apply a thick coat of hairspray and let it stay for 30 secs. Then rise with warm water. The alcohols and solvents in the hairspray will chemically alter the base coat. See change of color between the upper 2 pictures!

MPUPhQ7.jpg

Physical stage 1+n: Carefully treat the surface with tools like wooden chisels. Be careful not to score comletely through the paint work when using metal tools!

XCeqjDt.jpg

Rub, score, scratch and strike the surface till it looks worn and used. Apply chipping with songes, straight scratches with a curved blade dipped into thin paint. Apply panel washes before applying the hairspray. Add sprinkels and more washes as desired. Add streaking effects by airbrush using heavily diluted Tamiya flat black and redbrown.

LmcRgkP.jpg

Edited by 109