Pauke! Pauke! – NIGHTFIGHTER! Me 262 B-1a/U1 Red 12

Hi,

okay.... I appiled thin coats of light blue over the underpainting till I was happy with the result ... the blue is a bit more intense in the pictures than on the actual model. The green upper wing is a mockup for testing HGW wet transfers (successful!) and some RLM 82 variations ...

Bye :-)

CBMNTWh.jpg

q6ZvtkX.jpg

n1iMVUV.jpg

dOaFnyZ.jpg

Edited by 109

Really love how you simulated the leather with the oils over an airbrushed tan. Did you use raw umber? Could you describe your technique a bit further? This has to be right up there as one of the best looking leathers I have seen!

Chuck.

2 hours ago, ChuckT said:

Really love how you simulated the leather with the oils over an airbrushed tan. Did you use raw umber? Could you describe your technique a bit further? This has to be right up there as one of the best looking leathers I have seen!

Chuck.

Hi Chuck,

I used the fast drying alkyd oils from Winsor & Newton over a flat tan colored underpainting. Used van Dyke brown and umber.

1. Apply flat tan colored base coat, e.g. good old Tamiya buff (see below)

2. Apply a coat of oils  and let drying begin. Alkyds dry fast, some 20 mins and they start to dry. Do a test in advance!

3. Remove exessive oils while they are starting to dry with a flat brush to reveal the base coat.

4. Apply scratches and scuffs with a tooth pick.

5. Apply a dark wash around the cushions.

For the base coat I tried the new Humbrol enamels and they are a pain in the a__. Way off the old quality enamels :-(

HTH!

Edited by 109

10 hours ago, 109 said:

Hi Chuck,

I used the fast drying alkyd oils from Winsor & Newton over a flat tan colored underpainting. Used van Dyke brown and umber.

1. Apply flat tan colored base coat, e.g. good old Tamiya buff (see below)

2. Apply a coat of oils  and let drying begin. Alkyds dry fast, some 20 mins and they start to dry. Do a test in advance!

3. Remove exessive oils while they are starting to dry with a flat brush to reveal the base coat.

4. Apply scratches and scuffs with a tooth pick.

5. Apply a dark wash around the cushions.

For the base coat I tried the new Humbrol enamels and they are a pain in the a__. Way off the old quality enamels :-(

HTH!

A couple more questions if you don't mind.

• Do you use raw umber or burnt umber?
  • Do you apply one of the oil colours over the entire seat/remove excess, then apply the other oil?

Thanks again.

Hi Chuck,

no need to say sorry ...

I used raw umber, but you can vary the colors. I applied both shades at the same time, the darker to the lower portions of the seat. Scratches are made with the tooth pick by removing the oils and thus revealing the light base coat.

Bye!

Hi,

here are a few snap shots of the mottling in RLM 81 ...
Both fuselage sides showed different camoflage patterns probably due to 2 painters finishingeach side of the fuselage independently.

35oVhm6.jpg

vuML3kM.jpg

a9DMFCt.jpg

I have one photo of the right side of Rote 12 showing dark areas or bands of RLM 81.

VzkHuLp.jpg

RLM 81 area ahead of the wind shield probably needs some re-working with RLM 76 ...

GbEeVb9.jpg

PoDOtda.jpg