Do 17

Fred Jack

Some real good points raised here. I too have to wonder to what degree manufacturers use original factory drawings to create a model these days. The old Monogram Do 17, which some may see as crude by the standards of the present, still seemed to capture the "feel" of the machine, and that kit is quite ancient now. I enjoyed building mine a lot, all those many years ago.

That's the thing though Kevin. Because there is limited information regarding dimensions etc for this aircraft. People on both sides of the divide regarding the rivet counters and those who say 'if it looks like one then it is one' (and i am more in the latter camp), could all probably just enjoy building one should a modern kit be made.

I'd love Revell to do one. But there again i cannot for the life of me understand why Revell don't make the Ju88 and He111 kits anymore. They are like rocking horse doo dar to get hold of now (for decent prices).

The new ICM kits are quite a step up from older kits.  A few years ago I built the ICM Dornier Do-215.  The interior was laid out quite differently from the ancient Revell kit.  That being said, the transparent parts were so bad that the interior really didn't matter.  But, it went together OK and looked the part.  Adding some gunsights on the MG15's was the only improvement I made.

A ME-410 would be cool, I admit.  Has anybody kitted the Me-110 F in large scale?

23 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

“Close” based on what?  There is no complete Do17 in existence.  Not only no plans, no actual aircraft to photograph or measure from, much less LIDAR scan.  Using 75-80 year old photos?  Best of luck.  

So how did we end up with 1/72 and 1/48th versions that look the part then?

I'm sure the people in Hong Kong, Tokyo, Taipei, and wherever Revell is nowadays have other reasons.  It needs to be in a movie or some iconic piece of war footage.  Then everyone would want one.

2 hours ago, LSP_Ron said:

So how did we end up with 1/72 and 1/48th versions that look the part then?

They 'look' the part on the outside, but it isn't really that hard to get it close if all you're concerned with is the exterior appearance. At larger scales those interiors become more visible and that is where things become an issue.

And if you buy resin cockpit sets I don't want to hear a single word about how that doesn't matter.

Well, looking at the Revell first quarter releases for next year, there's nothing at all in 1/32, so far. I wait most likely in vain for a new variant Ju 88 C-6 from the A-4. 

I thought Revell were re-popping the He 111 P-1 any time now, and the motorised twinkly light Ju 88 A-4 is still widely available.

As for the Dornier, is there a '215 or '217 in existence? I'd be more interested in a night-fighter version of those.

Tony 

1 minute ago, Tony T said:

Well, looking at the Revell first quarter releases for next year, there's nothing at all in 1/32, so far. I wait most likely in vain for a new variant Ju 88 C-6 from the A-4. 

I thought Revell were re-popping the He 111 P-1 any time now, and the motorised twinkly light Ju 88 A-4 is still widely available.

As for the Dornier, is there a '215 or '217 in existence? I'd be more interested in a night-fighter version of those.

Tony 

Tigger does a 1/32 217.

23 minutes ago, LSP_Mike said:

I'd venture to say that if a model company wanted the Do 17, we'd have one.

Maybe hobbyboss/trumpeter.

Agreed.

It hasn't happened yet because it is not as exciting as the He111 or Ju88. But I will not say it will never be done. I think the night fighter Do 217 would be the most popular in the Dornier line.

Alain