Do 17

Fred Jack

I can see an open box review of the 17. “Well, folks it looks like, uh, looks like an airplane. Lots of very good lines with little injection marks. I just can’t figure out what it’s supposed to be. It kind of looks World War 2ish, and someone included WW2 German markings. I noticed no one put their Manufacturer’s name on the box or their instructions. I wonder why. Is it a JU-something or other? Why didn’t they at least put a sketch or a picture of the completed model on the box? Strange. Looks like a fat pencil. With a double tail. Kinda like a Dornier, forget I said that. Did they make a Junkers with a twin tail? It should be a big seller, but I’ll admit, if they didn’t give it to me for free to review it, I certainly wouldn’t have gone out of my way to buy it, but that’s me.I guess I’ll build it, if only to see if I can make rhyme or reason out of this kit. At least we can run it up a flag pole and see if anyone salutes it....”

Edited by Fred Jack

6 hours ago, 1to1scale said:

Well, the other day a model manufacturer said they were working on releasing a plastic ww2 German subject in 1/32 that had not been released in this scale yet. If you read into this statement, you can make some assumptions based on what would sell, take the screwball German designs out of the mix, there are not a lot that a model company would invest in injection molds for. 1. Most of the fighters have been released or are announced and are coming soon. 2. The bombers are where some room still exists, my thoughts were thinking Ju-52, Do-17, or a Do-215. 

What do you guys think about this? Am I missing some fighter That is not coming to mind? 

Maybe you are thinking of Silver Wings, which mentioned one German and one Japanese still on the workbench and part of the schedule. I assumed the He 112 and either Kate or Val.

I also reckon that an enterprising manufacturer could get together almost a complete documentation on the Dornier if they wanted. Looking at my FAOW on the Do 217, there are plenty of factory manual interior photos, and details from service or erection manuals. I am sure that wing sections and fuselage station information would also be available, maybe not enough to make a full sized flier, but enough for an accurate kit.

There are very detailed Dornier drawings in existence of the Do 24 flying boat and the Do 217 night fighter, they look like the Arthur Bently drawings. Maybe the Dornier Foundation or the Dornier Museum in Friedrichshafen has similar drawings and others of the Do 17 in its archives.   

12 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

But there are still no detailed plans in existence.  Trying to reconstruct a large aircraft from photos is a daunting prospect.

I agree there would be much work to do to to construct the shape of the aircraft, we should not assume that plastic kits necessarily need factory drawings to be produced. In fact, a recent B-24 kit shows just the opposite and it is still a popular kit. Many are willing to build it as is and some are ready to fix the wing problem as we can see here on this forum.

Of course in this particular case we are surprised that there are such mistakes as many B-24s are still in around plus good kits in other scales and the wing is such a caracteristic part of the bomber...

There are many additional examples where kits are designed using existing sets of plans that are inaccurate. One example are the old Hasegawa and Tamiya spitfire 1/48 kits that are short in lenth. 

I truly believe that a  company that would be dedicated to seriously research the Do 17Z could produce a kit that would satisfy the great majority of modelers even in 1/32 scale.

Alain

59 minutes ago, Alain Gadbois said:

I agree there would be much work to do to to construct the shape of the aircraft, we should not assume that plastic kits necessarily need factory drawings to be produced. In fact, a recent B-24 kit shows just the opposite and it is still a popular kit. Many are willing to build it as is and some are ready to fix the wing problem as we can see here on this forum.

Of course in this particular case we are surprised that there are such mistakes as many B-24s are still in around plus good kits in other scales and the wing is such a caracteristic part of the bomber...

There are many additional examples where kits are designed using existing sets of plans that are inaccurate. One example are the old Hasegawa and Tamiya spitfire 1/48 kits that are short in lenth. 

I truly believe that a  company that would be dedicated to seriously research the Do 17Z could produce a kit that would satisfy the great majority of modelers even in 1/32 scale.

Alain

I remember how inaccurate the old Aurora 1/48 WW2 fighters were, and we still loved them. They taught us a lot. ME-109s were metallic red, Zeros were yellow with black noses, FW-190s were black etc.... when better shaped planes eventually came out, we still used the old Aurora colour schemes, and were extremely disappointed that the wings and fuselages didn’t have raised lines for decal placement. Now those old kits cost more than a 1/32 bomber, when they originally cost $.85.