Do 17

Fred Jack

My biggest dream ... along with the Ju.52 ...

Unfortunately there is no sign of it happening anywhere in the near future. HKM appear to have a Ju.52 In some stage of production .... and since they are the only company next to Hobby Boss and Trumpeter willing to take on larger birds at the moment  - they would be the most likely company to take up the challenge.

Revell missed a golden opportunity after the Ju.88 and He.111 projects ... and due to their change of management ... we’re unlikely to see anything like this from them

Rog :)

So you feel better

9 minutes ago, chrish said:

well....That's why I checked this post! I thought you were going to say one was coming!...burst my bubble!!

So you feel better, one is on its way, just don’t know from where, or when. Maybe from this posting, some company will realize it, especially since they brought one up from the channel. Someone did say once that there were none in existence but WnWs is producing WW1 bombers for which none exists today.

13 minutes ago, Artful69 said:

My biggest dream ... along with the Ju.52 ...

Unfortunately there is no sign of it happening anywhere in the near future. HKM appear to have a Ju.52 In some stage of production .... and since they are the only company next to Hobby Boss and Trumpeter willing to take on larger birds at the moment  - they would be the most likely company to take up the challenge.

Revell missed a golden opportunity after the Ju.88 and He.111 projects ... and due to their change of management ... we’re unlikely to see anything like this from them

Of course it’s taken forever to see a C-47 or a B-24.

27 minutes ago, Fred Jack said:

So you feel better

So you feel better, one is on its way, just don’t know from where, or when. Maybe from this posting, some company will realize it, especially since they brought one up from the channel. Someone did say once that there were none in existence but WnWs is producing WW1 bombers for which none exists today.

I think a bit of that comes from there still being a lot of documentation on those planes to work from, whereas much of the German WWII documentation was lost in the bombings and ransacking of German cities. Also, the Channel bird was pretty deteriorated so there may not have been much to pull interior info from. The small-scale kits were able to skate by this lack of detail while a larger kit would have to have that level of detail.

Just a thought.

As far as I’m concerned, they pretty much put a Do-17 conopy to make the Ju88, they might have done that inside also, we don’t know, but I’d be happy to see a Do17 with a Ju88 interior. To me it’s the exterior that counts, as long as there is some kind of interior although I can remember being happy when Models only had a seat, stick and a plain instrument decal. Some even had only a pilot’s shoulder and head. It was the outside that mattered. I still keep my models closed up. You don’t see althat much through a closed canopy..

2 minutes ago, Jennings Heilig said:

But there are still no detailed plans in existence.  Trying to reconstruct a large aircraft from photos is a daunting prospect.

Double but,  how would anyone dispute accuracy.  I think all of us would be more than happy with something that exterior wise looked close dimensionally.

One can't count rivets when there are no rivets to count.

Just a thought. 

Just now, LSP_Ron said:

Double but,  how would anyone dispute accuracy.  I think all of us would be more than happy with something that exterior wise looked close dimensionally.

One can't count rivets when there are no rivets to count.

Just a thought. 

That was my thought ages ago  ... the perfect kit for Trumpeter or Hobby Boss - No one can pick the crap out what they can’t verify ... meanwhile - kits sell.

Well, the other day a model manufacturer said they were working on releasing a plastic ww2 German subject in 1/32 that had not been released in this scale yet. If you read into this statement, you can make some assumptions based on what would sell, take the screwball German designs out of the mix, there are not a lot that a model company would invest in injection molds for. 1. Most of the fighters have been released or are announced and are coming soon. 2. The bombers are where some room still exists, my thoughts were thinking Ju-52, Do-17, or a Do-215. 

What do you guys think about this? Am I missing some fighter That is not coming to mind? 

I’m curious to know,  did SWS have factory drawings for their release of the Hs 129?   I would assume they did knowing the level of detail in Andy’s build going on right now.  It’s a bummer the Do 17 didn't have anything survive the war in the way of drawings.  It would be a worthwhile kit to so many to see come to light.    

Did the Do-17 ever make it to the IWM display yet?   I’d like to see how they display the old bomber some day.  

59 minutes ago, Jennings Heilig said:

“Close” based on what?  There is no complete Do17 in existence.  Not only no plans, no actual aircraft to photograph or measure from, much less LIDAR scan.  Using 75-80 year old photos?  Best of luck.  

There is a Do-17 that was recently raised from the English Channel that was externally in good shape. You can see it on YouTube.

15 minutes ago, Fred Jack said:

There is a Do-17 that was recently raised from the English Channel that was externally in good shape. You can see it on YouTube.

Actually ... the biggest problem was that it broke apart a fair bit when lifting it ... I remember watching the whole process over the course of days. ...

HOWEVER ... with what’s available in predictive computer modelling these days it would be Reasonably easy to get a halfway decent rendition all of the internal framing (skeleton), is available to check. They have undercarriage and wheels ... available. And quite a bit of the internals ... 

couple that together with old internal photographs and you could work out a reasonable design ... the front end of the fuse is basically similar to a Ju.88.