Cross Kit General Lee......ish-Completed-01/16

mustang1989

Today saw the completion of the engine bay prep. The one thing I couldn't get over was the clear windshield washer bottle out of the box.I%20dunno_zpsgjbxiscc.gif A little weird but I guess they were trying to appeal to the average modeler.

tjqYLU.jpg

I made the necessary corrections to it and managed to finish up the engine bay today. Shock studs and retaining nuts were added to the shock towers, brake lines were fabricated and added and I brought out the highlights of the steering column with a silver lead pencil. Anyhow ....here's the engine bay all prepped for that 440 engine to be installed hopefully shortly....

JQG7np.jpg

kntgES.jpg

What he said!

I’ve worked on a few of of those cars in my day...shows how old I am hey? 

Hardest part to change is that double reduction starter on a 440 engine in a A or B body car with headers!

3 hours ago, chrish said:

What he said!

I’ve worked on a few of of those cars in my day...shows how old I am hey? 

Hardest part to change is that double reduction starter on a 440 engine in a A or B body car with headers!

Yeah, try that with a Hemi..The gloss orange looks like the smoothest paint job I've seen in a long time. Need to ask, what did you used to get the roof smooth after removing the vinyl top?

Don

Thanks fellas!! I wouldn't even attempt to work on an A Bodied Hemi car. I had an A bodied Barracuda with a 318 in it and the exhaust work on that was tricky enough and that was just a small block car. 

Got the engine and transmission installed so now progress should move right along.

Edited by mustang1989

Ok folks.....being pretty much unhappy with the air cleaner that I had on the engine I searched high and low and found one more air cleaner in my stash that actually goes on a 440 and shot it with Molotow Chrome through an airbrush. This time the results were pure magic...……

This looks MUCH better to me....

I'm to the point that I'm now working on the grille/ front end of this bad boy. I can't really fit anything into the engine bay as far as the radiator core support (which has now been extensively modified to fit. Don't ask folks....I really don't know what happened with the fit of everything up front. All parts were test fitted prior to even painting and it all fit perfect. Now ...the front fenders have to be spread in the front some to get the brace and hood to fit. Weird.

As far as the grille goes, there's some more mods that I'm doing. Looks like the inserts from the MPC kit turned around backwards fit perfectly in the openings that I cut out of the grille. I've still got some filling and sanding to do to get rid of those nasty ejector pin marks but that's not really a worry of mine. I cut the PE grille inserts out and test fitted. Looks like it's all a "go" at this point. One more side to go...…..

2phuUC.jpg

MwXoev.jpg

kmfTH6.jpg

Thanks Brian for the comments and Chris for the vote of confidence! 

Ok......I've been throwing everything I've got at this one and it's been a lot of little things that all add up to the bigger picture.

Engine bay is......finished!!

And I've got everything done here except for some work on the hood, some R/T badges, windshield wiper install and custom exhaust tips.

Beautiful and accurate! Seeing it with the hood off reminds me how tight those engine compartments were!

looks like the real thing!

I tried to get a more realistic grille on one of my cars by sanding the grille from behind until the grille was see through then cleaning out the skin from between the “metal” parts, worked ok but your method is so much more efficient! 

On 1/15/2020 at 7:31 AM, Kagemusha said:

Really nice work, must confess, I thought it was a tank, so didn't look until now. :mental:

Thanks Kagemusha! LOL!! Sometimes titles can be misleading. 

On 1/15/2020 at 8:30 AM, chrish said:

Beautiful and accurate! Seeing it with the hood off reminds me how tight those engine compartments were!

looks like the real thing!

I tried to get a more realistic grille on one of my cars by sanding the grille from behind until the grille was see through then cleaning out the skin from between the “metal” parts, worked ok but your method is so much more efficient! 

Thanks Chris. I've done the same thing in the past and when there's no PE fret available for a kit I work with then I've been known to resort to sanding the OOB parts from the backside. Hey......that works too ya know. :D

22 hours ago, Gazzas said:

Looks beautiful, Joe!  That engine bay looks clean enough to eat off!

Gaz

Thanks Gaz! I'm a stickler for clean engine parts in the 1:1 world too.