Cross Kit General Lee......ish-Completed-01/16

mustang1989

Hey fellas. It's been a little while since I've been here but it's that time of year again where our son, being in FFA, is raising another pig this year.  That means limited time at the bench as well as the computer / forums. In any case I've managed to squeak in some time in both places after everything stabilized as far as the work load. lol. 

I'll start with an MPC General Lee kit which I'll be using bits and pieces from to include decals and the parts necessary to make this a General Lee. I picked this kit up for $10 at the last show I went to in San Antonio back in February:

D3fS1d.jpg

Most of the build will be from this kit which is a far better offering than the MPC version ever thought about being.

8RbDO4.jpg

and to put a little bit of a spin on this car to get it to look the way I want it to look I'll be using the wider wheels and tires from the AMT Eckler Corvette kit:

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by mustang1989

I agree on the quality of the AMT/ MPC kits! I think they cast one floor/ interior and made every upper body fit that scenario. I wanted a model of my 74 Plymouth road runner...it took 5 kits (parts) to make mine (accurately) I think the only AMT part of that build was the body!

good luck!

5 minutes ago, chrish said:

I agree on the quality of the AMT/ MPC kits! I think they cast one floor/ interior and made every upper body fit that scenario. I wanted a model of my 74 Plymouth road runner...it took 5 kits (parts) to make mine (accurately) I think the only AMT part of that build was the body!

good luck!

Thanks Chris. About the only thing I'll be using from the MPC kit are the decals. Outside of the Charger kit I've actually had pretty good luck with AMT kits. I've built their 59 El Camino and 90 Silverado 454 SS and both kits were pretty fair.

1 minute ago, LSP_K2 said:

Does the MPC kit have the confederate flag roof decal included? If not, I know some AM companies make replacements.

It does Kevin. Believe it or not the Pro Modeler does too but the decals fall to pieces. Thanks for taggin' along. 

9 minutes ago, chrish said:

good luck!

BTW.....I'll be building the Pro-Modeler version of this one. MUCH better kit....MPC is not even close to being in the same class as its Revell counterpart.

3 minutes ago, LSP_K2 said:

Good to know about the decals, it looks like the box art doesn't depict it.

IIRC, I think some time back after the PC police got riled up, they started taking the General Lee kits off the shelves, and when I started seeing them again, most seemed to appear as the above kit, without the confederate flag on the box art. 

26 minutes ago, mustang1989 said:

BTW.....I'll be building the Pro-Modeler version of this one. MUCH better kit....MPC is not even close to being in the same class as its Revell counterpart.

I'll eventually be something similar, combining the best of the Revell/Monogram '70 Challenger with the AMT '70 Challenger convertible kit.

5 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

IIRC, I think some time back after the PC police got riled up, they started taking the General Lee kits off the shelves, and when I started seeing them again, most seemed to appear as the above kit, without the confederate flag on the box art. 

Yea, I believe you're right, Brian.

40 minutes ago, mustang1989 said:

Outside of the Charger kit I've actually had pretty good luck with AMT kits. I've built their 59 El Camino and 90 Silverado 454 SS and both kits were pretty fair.

I have a mint copy of the AMT '59 El Camino, and will use the camper shell from the AMT '65 El Camino kit, to finally do my grail '59 with camper shell.

4 minutes ago, LSP_K2 said:

I have a mint copy of the AMT '59 El Camino, and will use the camper shell from the AMT '65 El Camino kit, to finally do my grail '59 with camper shell.

Don't get me wrong....the AMT 59 El Camino had its quirks and I ended up using a 348 out of a Revell 59 Bel Air kit just to dress things up a bit for the kid that I was building it for but the OOB engine with the AMT offering would've worked. 

For those who didn't get a chance to see the AMT El Camino that I built for my son's friend last Christmas here's proof that these old AMT kits CAN be built into decent looking finishes...

JS3bL4.jpg

Found the paint that I want to use. I've been eyeballing this color anyways because I've seen a few of the newer Chargers painted this color and I have developed a liking to it.

Here we are all cleaned up and primed. 

Managed to dispense and apply the paint this morning. This stuff went on really good. I'll start the wet sanding process in a few days to smooth everything out that much more before I start with the decaling and clear coats. We'll be using the "Wet Look" clear on this one so it'll really pop.
KdmBSF.jpg

lzJl5v.jpg

yBGQdy.jpg