Trying to understand this weathering from a photo...

Gazzas

Hi all,

I'm trying to weather a plane in the same manner as the one seen in this photo:

UGmpvU.png

The darker areas aft of the engines I'm portraying as slightly browned where fuel residue has stained the paint and become grimy as it's collected some fine dust.  That's my interpretation, anyway.  What is baffling me is the very dark stains outboard of each engine that have well defined and sharp edges.  Is that fresh fuel that is still wet enough to look dark against a rather light paint scheme?  Or is it motor oil that has leaked from a access hatch in that place?

I could understand oil leaking straight behind the engine.  But outboard of the engine only makes sense if there is some kind of access to the oil sumps via a filler tube.  But why would it leak upwards?  I assume there would be drains under the sumps?

Sadly there isn't a lot of technical data on the aircraft.

Any insight would greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Gaz

After a few hours of digging, I found a drawing that asserts that there is a 55-litre oil tank below that position.  Though I'm still confused what would make them leak upwards.   Flying upside down?  Ground crew forgot to put caps on after topping up?  Maybe the caps don't seal all of the way to allow the oil to 'vent' gases?

Anyway...  enough of an answer.  I don't have to fear that it's freshly spilled fuel.

If the oil caps do not seal all in order to vent gasses, then the oil would be drawn upwards through the gap when in flight (upper side of wing is subject to lower pressure air - which is what generates 'lift').

In my opinion not thw smartest  thing to do (you can suck out all oil through the vent that way) but who knows what happens with economics due to the pressures generated by a war?

10 hours ago, Landrotten Highlander said:

If the oil caps do not seal all in order to vent gasses, then the oil would be drawn upwards through the gap when in flight (upper side of wing is subject to lower pressure air - which is what generates 'lift').

In my opinion not thw smartest  thing to do (you can suck out all oil through the vent that way) but who knows what happens with economics due to the pressures generated by a war?

I was hypothesizing due to a lack of information.  Because I know it is oil, I don't have to worry about how it got there.

1 hour ago, Troy Molitor said:

I’m thinking it was over serviced on the starboard wing and someone tried to wipe off the excess oil with a rag and made a damn mess of it!  

I like that.  But I still have to weather it as is.  I've still got the big runs half done (I use four colors, not all at once)...  then I can do the 'wiped off' areas.  Dirty oil has so many hits on the color spectrum.  So, I use black, brown, green, and yellow.  This is turning into quite a project.