24 Squadron DH2 1916

RLWP

This is going to be a Roden kit, messed about with to represent an early production DH2 of 24 Squadron. My inspiration is a picture on page 5 of datafile 48 'The AMC DH2'

I got a bit obsessed with the 'wobbly mount' as Lanoe Hawker described it. As far as I can work out, this is it:

DSCF9965.JPG

That's how it is shown in the patent drawing.  DeHavilland designed it to be very flexible:

DSCF9966.JPG

DSCF9968.JPG

Which would be great as an observers gun, not so much for a pilot of a single seater

I was intrigued with how the pilots managed to stop the gun wandering around. It was supposed to install like this:

DSCF9975.JPG

Contemporary pictures show the butt of the gun sitting much further back, so I think what they did was this:

DSCF9976.JPG

That just about matches the pictures, the patent drawing, and a pilot could relatively easily tie a belt around the whole lot to lock it in place - which was forbidden by the Ministry...

DSCF0035.JPG

DSCF0036.JPG

Richard

1 hour ago, TomR said:

Wow very nice start. I'll definitely be keeping tabs on your build as I have the Wingnut Wings version of the DH2 on the self. Looking great so far!

I have downloaded the WNW instructions for the DH2 - they have lots of useful information. Plus the Gnome instructions are in there, I'm swapping the Roden one for the WNW

Richard

More parts installed:

DSCF0037.JPG

Most WW1 'planes, you add all this stuff, close the fuselage and you can't see a damn thing. A DH2 pilot was very exposed judging by how much is visible

How this DH2 ended up with a German compass is a mystery

The WNW Gnome:

DSCF0038.JPG

Richard

Excellent start on this build! I love the exquisite detail work you put into the gun mount, and enjoyed the explanation and the drawings of how it worked. The interior is beautiful, the fabric effect and the wicker seat is completely convincing.  

I think you're brave taking the DH2 on, just thinking about the rigging gives me a headache!

Richard

The magazine racks with the kit represent a later style than the first production DH2. Eduard make a nice etch to replace that

I have taken the Eduard etch, cut off the front and made a new one in brass:

DSCF0040.JPG

I turned down some Brassin magazines to represent the older style case and fitted a round ring:

DSCF0041.JPG

Richard

I have tried a new material for the plug leads:

DSCF0042.JPG

it's a keratin based monofilament, around 0.003" diameter available (to me) in a sort of brown and grey

Yes - I pulled my own hair out and used that!

The prop is finished, awaiting paint:

DSCF0043.JPG

And the fuselage has been closed up:

DSCF0044.JPG

DSCF0045.JPG

Yes. German compass - I know....

Richard

More bits and pieces. I've added a lip to the bottom of the fuselage to represent where the metal nose overlaps the floor:

DSCF0060.JPG

Various little bits and bobs have got sorted, I'm particularly pleased with the pitot-static tube:

DSCF0063.JPG

And I have done the first bit of rigging:

DSCF0064.JPG

Those tail booms are very flexible, even this minimal bit of rigging helps stiffen them up

Richard