RCAF Mustang Mk.IV Camouflage pattern and markings

Winnie

Hi there peeps, and especially you Canadian minded folk!

I am looking for good resources for the camouflage pattern for the Mk.IV Mustang. I bought a set of "Top Notch" masks for it, but it turns out that the "E" Pattern is nowhere near the RCAF pattern, or they simply got it wrong?

Anyway, I bought a set of Xtra Decal stickers for a late war Mk. IV, and was hoping for a correct pattern to make masks for it, I'd also be appreciative if anyone has info if there is a "City of Winnipeg" Mustang... Can't hardly make a "City of Edmonton, whem one lives practically in Winnipeg...

Anyway, any info is appreciated!

Regards

Harald

16 minutes ago, Kagemusha said:

You should, hopefully, find the correct pattern here

I think it might be the "Loop" pattern (page 6 of the reference Kagemusha posted). I don't have my references with me, but many Mustangs were repainted in the UK in this simplified scheme, using the standard RAF Day Fighter Scheme of Ocean Grey, Dark Green and Medium Sea Grey. Forget the US equivalents. It's a bit of a convoluted story.

As far as I know, none of 442s Mustangs were named "City of Winnipeg", but...never say never. I have lots of information on 442 at home. If you're using the XtraDecal sheet, then I'll see which aircraft they chose and can provide you with some info.

Talk to you after supper...Ontario time. :)

Richard

Looks like I will have to make my own mask, as the sheet from top Notch of the "E" Pattern doesn't look anything like it, but I shall prevail! RAF Colors I have sourced so that is easy! Hoping that the lovered vents from the Revell kit will fit on the Tamiya lower cowl...

Sorry Harald...I got sidelined last night!

No, the E Pattern is not accurate for those aircraft. With the two references that Kagemusha posted you should have enough information for the pattern. It was definitely the "Loop" pattern, but there were slight variations. IPMS Canada had a 1/48 sheet with 442 Squadron Mustangs and the Wing Leader's aircraft. It doesn't look to be available anymore, and the instructions are no longer online. I found them in a review on Hyperscale though. They should help with getting you started with the pattern too.

If you don't want to have an aircraft with the word "Edmonton" on it :), you could do Y2-C which is how Vintage Wings of Canada restored their Mustang.

Here is the link:

http://decals.kitreview.com/decals/sweatingbeaverreviewrk_2.htm

If the Revell louvres don't fit, I have several Red Roo louvres you could try.  I also have 1/24 scale Sky coloured code letters if you wanted to do another aircraft.

Richard