Albatros III OAW to Oeffag?

Cicchino

I can't speak to the conversion, but it might be a really long time before WNW does a Albatros DIII.  They have to a degree tried to steer clear of Roden and give them some space.  There is no knowing when or if WNW will kit that plane.  They could announce it tomorrow or 10 years from now.  I think they will do it someday but only god and Peter Jackson knows and neither speaks to me.

18 hours ago, cbk57 said:

They have to a degree tried to steer clear of Roden and give them some space. 

While that was true, at least initially, Roden seems to have given up the ghost, as far as new releases in 1:32 are concerned. I myself, will no longer buy Roden stuff, choosing instead to wait for the almost inevitable WNW replacements.

1 hour ago, LSP_K2 said:

While that was true, at least initially, Roden seems to have given up the ghost, as far as new releases in 1:32 are concerned. I myself, will no longer buy Roden stuff, choosing instead to wait for the almost inevitable WNW replacements.

Good point, have not see much new in 1/32 from Roden in ages if anything.  Who knows when though WNW will get to this DII and DIII but you would think they would be coming at some point.  I think if I had to have a DIII though I would not necesarily wait.  I am pretty agnostic as to specific aircraft and so when a new kit comes along that can steer me as much as anything.

Oeffag produced the Albatros D.III in three 'Series'. From a modelling perspective, the main points to note are;

• Series 53 aircraft are essentially the same as the standard Albatros D.III but with the 185hp Austro-Daimler engine. Pilots often removed the spinner
  • Series 153 had the 200hp Austro-Daimler engine. From aircraft 112 of that Series, Oeffag introduced a rounded nose that eliminated the spinner
  • Series 253 had the rounded nose and a 225hp Austro-Daimler engine
  • All Series were armed with twin Schwarzlose machine guns. For Series 53 and 153 they were located inside the fuselage in front of the pilot. For Series 253 they were re-located to the upper fuselage decking in front of the pilot, as per the standard Albatros D.III
  • All Series had a removeable engine cover for cold weather operations

I do remember that Battle Axe came out with one but good luck finding that. I had at one point making the nose like the late Rumpler by WnWs but the front of their nose was much too big to put on an Albatros. I wouldn’t mind having at least one. I just broke down and ordered a Roden Albatros lll OAW.

7 hours ago, vince14 said:

Oeffag produced the Albatros D.III in three 'Series'. From a modelling perspective, the main points to note are;

• Series 53 aircraft are essentially the same as the standard Albatros D.III but with the 185hp Austro-Daimler engine. Pilots often removed the spinner
  • Series 153 had the 200hp Austro-Daimler engine. From aircraft 112 of that Series, Oeffag introduced a rounded nose that eliminated the spinner
  • Series 253 had the rounded nose and a 225hp Austro-Daimler engine
  • All Series were armed with twin Schwarzlose machine guns. For Series 53 and 153 they were located inside the fuselage in front of the pilot. For Series 253 they were re-located to the upper fuselage decking in front of the pilot, as per the standard Albatros D.III
  • All Series had a removeable engine cover for cold weather operations

Indeed but the fuselage panels were not identically located. So, some filling and scribing is also required. 

1 hour ago, Fred Jack said:

I do remember that Battle Axe came out with one but good luck finding that. I had at one point making the nose like the late Rumpler by WnWs but the front of their nose was much too big to put on an Albatros. I wouldn’t mind having at least one. I just broke down and ordered a Roden Albatros lll OAW.

Do not even try. The nose of their Oeffag DIII was totally inaccurate. 

Create a model making company and create a CAD drawing of your Oeffag Albatros.   WNW will announce theirs in a week or two.  It happened with the Lanc and Hansa Brandenburg. 

Third times a charm?

11 hours ago, vince14 said:

•  

That sounds like an interesting project. The engine is here: http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/product?productid=3065

And the Schwarzlose here: http://www.gaspatchmodels.com/machine-guns-1-32/?sort=featured&page=4

The guns will need some hacking about, assuming you fit them

And the datafile: https://www.windsockdatafilespecials.co.uk/19albatros-diii-oef-1055-p.asp

Richard

Hmm - I don't need one - do I?

Thanks all for the responses! I was hoping to find a suitable aircraft to use the new Aviattic Swirl cameo on, and the Oeffag seemed to be a good choice, but not sure I want to take on the work Blackbetty did in his incredible build ( I have two other Bavarian Albatrosses already in the queue). I’ll probably look for other alternatives to use the swirls. Thanks again!