1/32 ERA-3B Skywarrior - 3D printed / scratchbuilt

Starfighter

• 2 weeks later...

Besides the tedious and annoying job of adding groove lines and surface detail, I have added the viewfinder bulges in the radome. They were blanked over on most ERA-3Bs, so there is no need for any internal details. I have started with a 3D printed basic shape which was glued to the radome:

img_47165hkoh.jpg

img_4715cdjcn.jpg

The fairings were then sculpted with Magic Sculp.

img_4719kljvs.jpg

img_4718b7jh0.jpg

img_47207rjtx.jpg

A view of the fuselage shows the use of vinyl for raised surface details. I am rather happy with the result, but paint does not stick very well to vinyl. I sadly haven't found any other self-adhesive material which cuts as nicely but is easier to paint. I you have any suggestions, your feedback would be highly appreciated! 

img_47177ej1c.jpg

Bonus: a rare view of Dymo tape being used on one of my models. I am not a huge fan of that stuff but it is very handy as aguide to scribe compound curved parts. 

img_4692qjktz.jpg

Fresh from the printer - the fuselage side (ex-) camera blisters. 

img_50143mjsz.jpg

In situ.

img_5015fsj3y.jpg

The big electronics canoe was fitted to the fuselage as well.

img_5016nyjrc.jpg

Most of the characteristic ERA-3B parts are now fitted or at least ready to be fitted. Next step is marking the position of the tail planes and fitting the inner wing sections. 

Fantastic job repairing the damage to it.  You definitely will have a one of a kind model once it's done, like all of your other projects.  Good to see the wings folded, that'll save a bit of space, unless you're planning to have them extended.

Matt