1/32 ERA-3B Skywarrior - 3D printed / scratchbuilt

Starfighter

4 hours ago, Starfighter said:

img_5548kcjcs.jpg

I wonder why you print that rudder at an angle - seems to create a lot of waste for supports... is it because it's too long for the machine to be horizontal ? Are those supports auto-generated or do you do them yourself ? Can you tell I'm thinking really hard about getting a machine ?

Printing results are better when parts are angled in 99% of all cases. Details are more crisp and suction is reduced when a part is angled. When printing, one should forget any thought about "waste of material" when it comes to printing angle and supports. The photo below shows the difference between a detailed part printed flat on the left and printed at an angle on the right - the difference is obvious. The part on the left would have been even more crisp with a slightly lower exposure time.

oa-4mpanelu6jbn.jpg

Your build continues to amaze - god I would love this a/c in kit form in 1/32!

Regarding printing on an angle, I do that as a matter of course but have found issues with square/rectangle objects with flat sides or objects that are box-like not coming out particularly straight whereas if I do them flat to the print plate they come out OK but with more obvious layer lines. Do you think that is likely due to the "stock" z axis slide in the photon? I am really tempted to get that z slide upgrade you linked before but its spendy so haven't pulled the trigger yet.... :)

Your work continually impresses me Ben, it looks staggeringly good. There is one USN  subject that I have always wanted to make in 1/32 scale, but I have not yet found enough good reference material, and more impotantly, accurate drawings for it so far (I only have one reference for it present)...It is a 'shape'  of a different kind from yours, but from the same stable (and designer).

Derek

On 7/3/2020 at 2:46 PM, petrov27 said:

Your build continues to amaze - god I would love this a/c in kit form in 1/32!

Regarding printing on an angle, I do that as a matter of course but have found issues with square/rectangle objects with flat sides or objects that are box-like not coming out particularly straight whereas if I do them flat to the print plate they come out OK but with more obvious layer lines. Do you think that is likely due to the "stock" z axis slide in the photon? I am really tempted to get that z slide upgrade you linked before but its spendy so haven't pulled the trigger yet.... :)

Could indeed be caused by Z-axis wobble. Whilst the Z-axis upgrade my not be "cheap", it's very reasonably priced and definitely worth the price. It makes the Photon way more versatile and enables you to print more precise and bigger parts! 

On 7/3/2020 at 8:31 PM, spyrosjzmichos said:

Excellent work so far Ben!

And many thanks for the 3D printing tips!

You are welcome! :) 

On 7/4/2020 at 2:09 AM, SCRATCH BUILDER said:

Ben,

it looks like you have a Wash & Cure  :thumbsup:

Indeed, one of the best investments I have made so far. Makes your printing life much easier, quicker and less dirty. 

On 7/5/2020 at 12:58 AM, Derek B said:

Your work continually impresses me Ben, it looks staggeringly good. There is one USN  subject that I have always wanted to make in 1/32 scale, but I have not yet found enough good reference material, and more impotantly, accurate drawings for it so far (I only have one reference for it present)...It is a 'shape'  of a different kind from yours, but from the same stable (and designer).

Derek

Thanks Derek! :) Your post sounds very intriguing - I'd love to see and read more about that! There are indeed more "esoteric" Navy subjects out there. I've got a few ideas in my mind as well...

On 7/4/2020 at 11:58 PM, Derek B said:

Your work continually impresses me Ben, it looks staggeringly good. There is one USN  subject that I have always wanted to make in 1/32 scale, but I have not yet found enough good reference material, and more importantly, accurate drawings for it so far (I only have one reference for it present)...It is a 'shape'  of a different kind from yours, but from the same stable (and designer).

Derek

2 hours ago, Starfighter said:

Thanks Derek! :) Your post sounds very intriguing - I'd love to see and read more about that! There are indeed more "esoteric" Navy subjects out there. I've got a few ideas in my mind as well...

Hi Ben, 

You have already probably guessed what it is...the Douglas F3D Skyknight (the EF-10B variant being a forebear to your ERA-3B Skywarrior).

EF-10B_Skyknight_of_VMCJ-1_at_MCAS_El_Toro.jpg

Derek

5 hours ago, blackbetty said:

seen my build, Derek?

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/75844-willie-the-whale-finished/

there are a couple of references, if you cant get them, i will be happy to provide scans

Just read your whole build post - fantastic and inspirational Karl (Looks like I need to get the Tigger kit then). I only have the MM book, but I may need your assistance with other reference if I may?

Many thanks

Derek