1/32 ERA-3B Skywarrior - 3D printed / scratchbuilt

Starfighter

Thanks for the link Ben! That would have solved a lot of the issues I had with my nacelles. Unfortunately I see that he only posts to UK and EU..... back to the drawing board for me! 

Cheers,

Craig

Edit : My bad, looks like I read the info wrong..... I now have the upgrade on its way to me, thanks for the link Ben! :)

Edited by brahman104

My bench is a bit messy again - even after a cleanup. I am busy working on the engines. Printing these large parts on my Photon would not have been possible without the double Z-rail upgrade. The parts need a bit of tweaking and modification but nothing too serious. 

img_54748akc9.jpg

Looking great!!!!

That double Z axis upgrade really is a godsend, isn't it?  I ended up adding an EZ-Z-zero leveler to mine as well. The ball and socket was not playing nice and was coming loose a bit during printing. Those plus the antialiasing, and that's one powerful little printer to be reckoned with B)

It's a great and very useful update indeed! I have not yet played with Antialiasing; what setting do you use? It's set to "1" by default and I did not play around with it yet. The E-Z leveler sounds interesting as well but was out of stock when I looked for it. 

On 6/23/2020 at 9:30 AM, brahman104 said:

Thanks for the link Ben! That would have solved a lot of the issues I had with my nacelles. Unfortunately I see that he only posts to UK and EU..... back to the drawing board for me! 

Cheers,

Craig

Edit : My bad, looks like I read the info wrong..... I now have the upgrade on its way to me, thanks for the link Ben! :)

Great to hear, you won't regret it! 

Depends on your budget and what you'd like to do with the printer, Thomas. I am happy with my upgraded Photon; the Photon S and Elegoo Mars are a bit more expensive and seem to work very well, too. All of them are rather small, so if you want to print large parts, you need to chuck your 3D models into small pieces in order to print them. I think Elegoo will bring a slightly bigger affordable printer onto the market within this year, but I have forgotten the name. All of them are resin printers. 

I also have an FDM printer, namely a Creality CR-10S. I use it to print very large parts without too many details; one has to play around with settings a lot in order to get decent results with such a budget FDM printer and that's not my strong point. But if it works, you can print parts using ABS or HIPS both of which have pretty much the same characteristics as normal plastic kit parts. 

I have spent most of the last evening preparing and assembling the engines, drilled the fixing holes and inserted the fixing pins. This enabled me to temporarily fit the engines to the wings which really gives that “Skywarrior” look to the model. The model also gets more and more difficult to handle due to its sheer size. I need to plan carefully what to do next in order not to make my life more difficult than necessary (which is one of my specialities...). The idea is to complete the engines before putting them aside,  then to paint the cockpit floor before starting to design the landing gear. A freshly printed tail rudder is currently curing by the way. 

img_5544jhjte.jpg

img_5545r2k8h.jpg

img_5546egj3s.jpg

img_5548kcjcs.jpg