1/32 ERA-3B Skywarrior - 3D printed / scratchbuilt

Starfighter

On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2020 at 2:18 AM, Starfighter said:

Dan, the file is available on CGTrader. Making it printable includes scaling it, adding material thickness, making the model watertight and cutting it into pieces suitable for printing and assembly. As the 3D model was not intended to be printed, it is just a hull without any physical wall thickness. All this can be done using programs like Meshmixer and Netfabb. 

Hi Ben

Do you know if Fusion 360 can handle this cind of work as well?
I have found a couple of models I would like to try this out on.

Ben hope you don’t mind me jumping in...

Fusion 360 does have mesh tools.  I’ve used the functions but only to reverse engineer an .stl or other mesh file.  Since 3D printers slice up mesh files there’s no need for Fusion 360, the mesh software Ben suggested is free and more than adequate.

Now if you want to make large changes that’s a horse of a different color.

Timmy!

As I have Fusion 360 already it would be good not to have to use/learn another software.
But as you say, if they are free and if you can do that kind of work easer then I may try one of those softwares as well.

On 6/9/2020 at 4:26 PM, flarpen said:

Which one do you prefer/use?

Both of them! I prefer Netfabb to repair meshes and Meshmixer to scale, split and extrude parts. 

Oliver, the 53 has received another cost of primer yesterday but my current focus is on the Skywarrior. 

• 2 weeks later...

My Photon has been upgraded with a double Z-rail and is currently busy printing the engines - finally no layer shifts anymore! As the parts are so big, printing takes a lot of time, so I decided to add some raised rivet detail to the seats. I did not add these raised rivets to the CAD data as they would have been destroyed duwing sanding anyway. After a coat of primer, the seat belts will be added. 

img_5274n7khh.jpg

Edited by Starfighter

Nice.  It has a metallic sheen.

'My Photon has been upgraded with a double Z-rail . . . finally no layer shifts anymore!'

I understand this general statement.  Could you be more specific, technical?

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Mark

What would you like to know, Mark? The Photon has issues with large parts. When suction becomes too big, there are layer shifts in the parts due to the single Z-rail which has too much play. A precisely machined double Z-rail with less play eliminates those layer shifts. I am not sure whether or not it's allowed to post the link to the product over here - if it's not, please let me know and I will remove the link.

CLICK ME